VISA Information for Countries

I went to Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Brasil on vacation in September 2006. Here was my experience obtaining visas for the four countries at their respective consulates in Los Angeles (I needed visas for all four countries by the way):

Chile - the consulate had NO clue what a refugee travel document was, but they were the easiest people to deal with once they figured out what that strange green document was. I got my single-entry visa on the spot!

Argentina - really friendly person who manned the visa desk (Pablo I think.) They had to send the application and copy of the travel document to the Immigration Department in Buenos Aires for approval. It took around two weeks. Once approval came through, they called me in and stamped the visa the same morning.

Uruguay - small country with a really slow visa process. RTDs need to be approved by the Interior Ministry back in Montevideo and they take between 4 to 6 weeks to do so. Veronica, who heads visas at their consulate in LA, is one of the friendliest and most helpful visa people I have ever dealt with. Once they approve it, you can go in to get the visa stamp right away.

Brazil - the most efficient and professional visa department of the lot. They are clearly aware of what a RTD is and ask no questions. I got my visa in under a week, at the scheduled time of pick up.

Now, entering those countries with a RTD was altogether another matter. The Chilean IO kept me held up for 15 minutes while he verified the RTD. The Argentine IO had NO CLUE what it was and apparently, even the visa didn't look official. I was held up for 30 minutes. Entering Uruguay was easy even though, especially through the immigration check point at the BA Ferry Terminal. Entering and leaving Brazil was a breeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visa requirements for French Polynesia (Tahiti)?

Does anyone have any information about visa requirements for French Polynesia with a re-entry permit or refugee travel document? I assume the requirements will be slightly different than traveling to France.

Has anybody applied for a Russian visa? Can you share your experience please?

i've had one in both RTD (before i had a green card) and RP with no problem, just use a travel agency like russia-visa.com and everything will be very quick.

HEy guys but what happen if I am a Mexican citizen and I have a valid RTD and I want to go to the schegen area? do I still a Visa? or when they see in the RTD that my nationality is Mexican will I be able to enter those countries, because for the Schegen area MExico is not required for a Visa, so I am confused any comments?

We have been dealing with the same question for few years now.
I know definetly, no doubt, with RTD you need visa everywhere.
That is what i have heard several times from border security guys.

Eventhough, we have talked about Singapore subject with some links, but I am still confused:O
I have GC and RP, I DONT have NP. So , do I need visa? I have heard that you can get it in Singapore airport?
Could you guys please help.

Thanks

Costa Rica

I called the Costa Rica consulate in NYC and asked if with and RTD and a green card a vias is required for tourism. I was told that a visa was not necessary. Has anybody travel to Costa Rica with an RTD? Also Hungary allows people with RTD issued in th USA to visit Hungary for up to 9o days w.o a visa. The Swiss don't require a visa if you have a RTD+GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was refused entry into Costa Rica with only a RTD. Sent me back on the same plane I came in on. I was just issued a Tourist Visa today for Turkey, took less than 24 hours left my RTD with them yesterday and picked it up with my Visa today. I do not hold a GC.

Slovak Republic and Slovenia

According to the Web pages of the embassies of this 2 countries RTD holders are treated the same as the nationals of the countries whrere these RTDs where issued. So I think that we don't require a visa for this two countries.

UK, Ireland and Scotland

I have a reentry permit and GC. I just sent my application to the UK consulate in LA. Anybody knows how long it takes for them to issue the visa? do I need an extra visa for Ireland and/or Scotland?

Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom, so no extra visa is necessary. You can go there, to Wales and to Northern Ireland, as well as Jersey and other islands around the UK that belong to the UK. Ireland MAY require a visa. I have not been able to find the line that exempts US RTD holders from a visa... anyone have the link?

UK overseas territories(UK visa response)

Thank you for submitting your email enquiry. In answer to your
question,
we would like to inform of the following:

Green Card (ARC)
Any person (regardless of nationality) with a Green Card does not
require
a visa to travel to Bermuda, British Virgin Islands (B.V.I) or Cayman
Islands.

British Virgin Islands

Canadian and U.S. Citizens who are visiting for less than six months
may
travel with their Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate and
photo I.D., or their expired passport. U.S. Residents may travel with a
U.S. Re-entry Permit or ARC. All other nationalities need a valid
passport. All visitors should have return or onward tickets.

Thank you again for contacting WorldBridge.

Very faithfully yours,

WorldBridge Service
WorldBridge Service is happy to provide you with this information.
Please
note, however, that the decision to issue or refuse an entry clearance
is
made solely by Entry Clearance Officers at the British embassy.
WorldBridge staff has no power or influence over the success of
applications. WorldBridge staff may offer application information but
may
not offer immigration advice.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance
you
can visit the WorldBridge Service website at www.visainfoservices.com
where you can send an additional email enquiry.
UK 24
___________________________________________________________________________________
> A request for information has been received from our public website
> Subject: Do I need a visa?
> Comments: Im a stateless person greencard holder(permanent resident
in
> the USA)
> I have a Refugee Travel Document Issued by the United States. I will
> to
> Visit the British Virgin Island but don't know if a require a
> visa(Greencard
> Holder) or not I can't find the answer in the FAQ section. Thank you
for

I got my UK Visa five days from when I applied. Filed online, set up a biometric appointment for two days later, then immediately sent the supporting documents and proof of biometrics to their LA consulate. Got my RTD back two days later.