Belgium
Germany
Slovakia
Hungary
Kosovo
Croatia
Montenegro

Those are only countries in Europe?

What about Slovenia? Serbia? Bosnia and Herzegovina?

IF you have a U.S Passaport, You should be fine! no visa needed! Once you go through immigration in Germany, you should be fine. U.S Citizens/ Green Card Holders don't need a visa to go to Poland up to 90 days.

Might be a good idea to update the list on the first page of the thread...

I came to this page thinking of Singapore as one of those happy places, but the consulate quickly, and very rudely might i add, crushed my dream...

Yea... they don't recognize it. Funny how Singapore went from friendly visa free to complete disregard... and it doesn't help my case at all since I am stateless and my only chances of entering SG would be with a US passport (4-5 yrs from now) or marrying my gf, who is from there.

Are you stateless? Because, if you apply for asylum and are granted it, you are STILL a citizen of the original country until they revoke citizenship, or you renounce it. If you can get a passport, since you have a GC, you can go ahead and use it, and if, during your citizenship interview, you are asked why you renewed and used your passport (they ask this surprisingly rarely), then you can explain that your GC is from there (it'd be good if you two stayed together until then), and that you really had to visit her family.

Really? Not even from one of the new states based on where you were born or where you were registered last? That's too bad.

Yes... unfortunately. I tried at a couple of the embassies, but I only have a copy of my birth certificate, which I got from DOJ along with all my other initial asylum docs, because of FOIA, because my original was lost years ago. They wouldn't accept it. No family to speak of either.

However, none of the consulates or the embassy Singapore sites speak of the RTD or RP as unacceptable. In fact, they do not mention it at all. What they do mention is what countries or TD holders NEED visas, among which are RTDs issued by middle eastern countries. None of the post Yugoslavia countries are in that list.

I have emailed ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore) asking for clarification on the matter. We'll see how they answer.

That's too bad. Maybe a trip to your birth country to get official documents might help, if you feel safe doing so.

Good that you emailed ICA directly. Hopefully they won't be as pessimistic as the mission. Take that email with you if you decide to visit the mission in person, or forward it to them.

Been contemplating taking the plunge and going... but the risks outweigh the benefits. Not sure how USCIS will see it as I am not a citizen yet. Of course upon citizenship gain that becomes a non issue, but so does the issue of having a national passport...

Also, there's the possibility that those records may not exist anymore.

My experience in Europe, just returned yesterday. I had a Norway visa in my RTD, which wasn't hard to get but took much longer than I thought it was going to. Entered through Germany, stamped there, flew into Norway, no passport control, flew into Italy, no passport control, Italy passport control stamped the visa as I was about to fly to Albania, Albania did not need visa, officer asked me something about my last name then stamped. flew back into italy from albania, no issues though there were passport checks there since I was entering schengen zone. But yea, basically enter from any of the RTD visa free countries and go wherever you want within Schengen, no passport controls. Upon return to US, in secondary, the CBP officer asked something about how much cash I had then why I went to those places and stamped i94 and rtd with "admitted indefinitely as returning asylee, need prior permission to return if departing US, employment authorized." I asked why this "prior permission" since I have another trip coming up, he said to go ahead and go and it just meant that i'd have to go back to secondary upon return.

You had a good experience, but I still wouldn't advise going through the whole Schengen area without a visa. You had a visa so even if there had been a spot check, you would have been fine. Also, realise that if you run into police, they might ask to see your visa. When you fly, visa checks are almost zero, though, but if you take the train, bus, or drive across borders, there are often random checks and customs inspections.

Albania didn't require you to have a visa?

The permission you need to exit the US again is the RTD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, with Albania it was a bit of a pickle. Though I knew there would be no visa, since I've been there before with RTD, Turkish Airlines pulled up something on their computer and would not let me fly without a visa. Then upon me insisting, they called the immigration authorities at Mother Teresa airport in Tirana who said no, needs a visa. I walked away to think over what I was going to do. After two hours I went back to the counter, they said they called Tirana again who now supposedly said no you don't but need roundtrip ticket. I had a one way. However, needless to say by that point I was completely frustrated. Furthermore, they also refused to let me fly, even with a roudtrip since from Oslo I had to make a connection in Instambul and they said I could NOT stay in the transit area overnight. So i told them to write me a nice letter with the information, stamp it, took the letter, thanked them than told them to stick it, and went back in Oslo for a beautiful 12 hours of tourism and fun. The next morning took a flight to Rome, then the next day i had a roundtrip to Albania from Rome. At the passport control the guy saw my RTD, asked me about my last name, in Albanian, i answered in kind, he stamped, then wished me a happy stay. Upon return to Rome, exit check in Albania was puzzled a little, couldn't find the entry stamp, then I pointed to the last page of RTD. She stamped. Entering in Rome was a breeze, I had the visa, he asked me how long I intended to stay, I said I was flying out the next day. No need for proof, though I had the email confirmation ready, just in case. And I was off... Exiting Rome was a non issue as well, then entering US, as I described.
Yesterday I put in for a Thai visa, and I plan to fill up the pages as much as I can before it expires. Sadly though, the 6 month validity thing many embassies require might be a bit of an issue...

By the way... to give an update on my Singapore adventure... i was involved in a back and forth with Singapore ICA (immigration Checpoints Authority(seems everything is underlined AUTHORITY over there)) and after asking me for copies of RTD cover and particulars page they said NO. I informed them of my current no national passport status, still no. I then pointed out how RTD from middle east countries ARE ACCEPTED whereas mine is a no, they stressed still need national passport without any explanations. I asked about RTD and GC, still same, then RP+GC still no valid answer. Seems everything they said to me is canned and with no actual basis for denial. Though, I will continue to press on. Nothing to lose writing a few emails.

A thought just came to me... RTD and RP aren't biometric documents. Could this hinder their acceptance in certain places? And why do they collect biometrics, albeit very little, if this document isn't a biometric document?