Vacation in Canada with PR card and pending I-485

marmoren

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I had all my bags packed and was ready to move up north to Canada until last month, when the priority dates for EB3 finally became current. After entertaining the idea of dropping the GC process and moving to Canada, and after obtaining legal advice, I have decided to file for adjustment of status here in the USA to give the GC one last chance (for me, it has taken endless years; old labor cert process, waivers from J-1, etc, etc). I plan to file next week. I have two children that are US citizens and a H-4 holder dependent so this is quite important.

Of course, life would be perfect to continue everything without rocking the boat too much here in the United States. HOWEVER, if the I-485 process takes too long (more than a year, we would consider too long) we will definitely go back to the original plan of moving back to Canada.

Now, the big question is. I would love to go to Canada on vacation (when we landed it was a very short trip) and look around at housing, job market, etc, etc, BUT this would be with a pending I-485. Is this wise to do? Will I have problems at the border?

I am honestly holding my breath with the GC case, and in order to plan ahead, I would like to be able to travel to Canada (I am fairly close to the Canadian border) frequently to check things out and to get to know the country.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Last question... if this is possible, would it be wise to cross the border with my car (which is in the "goods to follow" list)?

Thanks.