V visa

sfreader05

It would be helpful to have a V visa section, since not much seems to be known, even among the lawyers. Anyway, I\'ll start off with a coupl e of questions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

1) How long is it taking to get V visa for the the spouses (of green card holders) legally in the US ?
2) In case the current visa expires, and the V visa has been applied for, is it possible to legally stay in the US ?

Thanks !

I am in another forum, I already applied for "V" status and ...

it\'s taking about two months since you submit your I-539 application (it\'s the average). Additionally, I knew a person in that forum who already received the work permit. This person submitted his documents (I-539 and I-765) on September 12, 2001.

If your Visa expires, and you apply for "V" status in the USA and it\'s approved, you will be permitted to live legally and work in this country.

Lexmarx.

> I also applied for the I-539 and I-765 on 09/19/01.Got the approval notice for the V visa on 11/19/01,but I am still waiting for the EAD approval.I haven\'t heard about many approval for the EADs,so it\'s very important that we post our experiences.

Well, the last information I have...

is that all the EAD have been sent to either California Service Center or Texas Service Center. It seems that the INS divided the country in two (I-765 applications from east side: to Texas, and applications from west side:to California).

So at this time, the EAD will depend on the processing time for each of these two offices and probably it\'s the reason about the delay in EAD approval. For example in Texas, they are processing EAD (second category, 90 days) submitted on or before July 18, 2001. Otherwise, California is processing on or before Sep. 28, 2001.

So it seems, we have to wait a while.