"USCIS will send you a written decision about your application"

sh1996

Registered Users (C)
After my interview, the immigration officer gave me a receipt with the "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" checked off. That is, no decision either way made at the interview. When I asked if that was unusual, the IO said no. When I further asked what happens to the application now (e.g., does it get reviewed by by a supervisor), she said "no", that she had everything she needed now but if she needs anything else she'll contact me. I asked how long for a response and she said 2-3 months, but USCIS has up to 120 days to respond.

Has anyone else run into this? And what happened in your case? Did you get an approval or rejection in the mail? Thanks in advance for any information.

I never heard of it that doesn't mean that it doesn't excist. When my Interview was done I was given a Paper with only 2 options. #1 Decision can not be mad. #2 Congratulations and so on. Let's see what others say who recently had their Interview. Mine was Nov 1 07

Ladybuggy,

My receipt also had the Congrats and Denied options further down, which is why I asked the IO the follow up questions. Very annoying to still be in limbo...almost (but not quite) would prefer a definitive denied so it's at least done. Sigh.

I got my interview on May 1, 2008 and the officer checked "The USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" plus "A decision cannot be made about your application". The reason in my case being it was assigned to another AO then the one whose name was actually written on it. Even though I passed the English and Civic test and he didn't ask for any more paper but still he wanted to have the actual officer to look at it before the approval. I believe they go by the book; anyhow it have been almost 5 weeks but I haven't heard anything from them. I shall wait couple of more weeks and then call my Congressional Members; they have 120 dasy to make decsion otherwise I shall use 8 USC 1447(b) and file suit in The District Court as this is not acceptable at all. My case case is in limbo for about 20 months or so...

I got my interview on May 1, 2008 and the officer checked "The USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" plus "A decision cannot be made about your application". The reason in my case being it was assigned to another AO then the one whose name was actually written on it. Even though I passed the English and Civic test and he didn't ask for any more paper but still he wanted to have the actual officer to look at it before the approval. I believe they go by the book; anyhow it have been almost 5 weeks but I haven't heard anything from them. I shall wait couple of more weeks and then call my Congressional Members; they have 120 dasy to make decsion otherwise I shall use 8 USC 1447(b) and file suit in The District Court as this is not acceptable at all. My case case is in limbo for about 20 months or so...

:eek: That's horrible.

Wait for 120 days; file suit and ask the court/judge to get ya Oath as after 120 days USCIS finishes up its jurisdiction and the District court has a choice either to remand USCIS for Oath and/or conduct it itself.....

:eek: That's horrible.

Wait for 120 days; file suit and ask the court/judge to get ya Oath as after 120 days USCIS finishes up its jurisdiction and the District court has a choice either to remand USCIS for Oath and/or conduct it itself.....

My receipt has the officer's (last) name on it and says to direct any questions about the application to her. Did you already send an enquiry letter to your adjudicating immigration officer? Or are you waiting for the 120 days to be over?

I sent him a letter after 2 weeks; will send another after 6-7 weeks and the final around 11-12 weeks. Plus I'll send letters to his District Director after 8-10 weeks; also start writing to all the Executive/Congressional members after 8 weeks. After 12 weeks, I'll send them the copy of my Original Complaint (1447(b)) with 30 days' deadline and if they don't adjudicate me then the Judge will be the ultimate authority....Don't wanna give those suckers anymore respite..

My receipt has the officer's (last) name on it and says to direct any questions about the application to her. Did you already send an enquiry letter to your adjudicating immigration officer? Or are you waiting for the 120 days to be over?

Hi OK-Boy,

Where is your District Office?

sh1996,

From the looks of your sig timeline, you received a decision letter on 7/3 and the outcome was unfavorable. What was the reason for denial?

After my interview, the immigration officer gave me a receipt with the "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" checked off. That is, no decision either way made at the interview. When I asked if that was unusual, the IO said no. When I further asked what happens to the application now (e.g., does it get reviewed by by a supervisor), she said "no", that she had everything she needed now but if she needs anything else she'll contact me. I asked how long for a response and she said 2-3 months, but USCIS has up to 120 days to respond.

Has anyone else run into this? And what happened in your case? Did you get an approval or rejection in the mail? Thanks in advance for any information.

This is standard. My mother received the same disposition as you did. Decision cannot be made at this time. She received her oath letter in about 1.5 months.

sh1996,

From the looks of your sig timeline, you received a decision letter on 7/3 and the outcome was unfavorable. What was the reason for denial?

Break in continuous residency. I applied three years after moving back from an overseas work assignment with a US company. (Have had the GC since '88.) Decision could have gone either way (I had support for why I didn't break continuous residency, including employment letter from the company stating it was a temporary assignment), but interviewer decided to go against me. I talked to a lawyer about appealing, but since I'm eligible to re-apply next year with 5 years of residency in the US and since appeal process would take about as long decided not to waste the money. Unfortunately will not be voting in the election this year.

Break in continuous residency. I applied three years after moving back from an overseas work assignment with a US company.

Sorry to hear that. For how long you were out of country? Continuosly or with breaks?

Break in continuous residency. I applied three years after moving back from an overseas work assignment with a US company.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for posting an update so others can understand the implications of being posted overseas.

Same problem "A decision will be mailed" Does this by defacto mean denied?

My wife's interview was on 6/27/2008. She had the same crappy luck. The IO went through the entire process of testing, asked her the hardest questions in the book (she still got a 100% right) he says we have a problem with your application. Since your husband lives/works abroad and you file joint tax returns you are ineligible for citizenship at this time. He passed other silly comments like your husband needs to make up his mind where he wants to live if you want to get citizenship or not, and since we make it a point that my wife has never been out of the US for more than 6 months, he said "visiting" is not for 5 months, it's 1 or 2 months. I thought it would be a pretty solid case and had no worries going into the interview, since we made the effort spent the money and made sure she was back in the US every 6 months. And this job of mine had only started August 2006 before that, we were both living, working, studying had a child in the US. The lawyer we spoke to after this horrific treatment said we have strong grounds for appeal, and maybe able to overturn the ruling at supervisor level (I am distrusting of lawyers, as she discusses her payment in the same breathe). The IO that handled our case she new him by name and said he doesn't have a very good reputation at the Houston field office.
Basically anyone that is in a similar situation we could really use advice on how to proceed or what to do next. I cannot leave my job, and we have 2 small children, (both US citizens) so traveling back and forth is becoming very cumbersome not mention costly.

My wife's interview was on 6/27/2008. She had the same crappy luck. The IO went through the entire process of testing, asked her the hardest questions in the book (she still got a 100% right) he says we have a problem with your application. Since your husband lives/works abroad and you file joint tax returns you are ineligible for citizenship at this time. He passed other silly comments like your husband needs to make up his mind where he wants to live if you want to get citizenship or not, and since we make it a point that my wife has never been out of the US for more than 6 months, he said "visiting" is not for 5 months, it's 1 or 2 months. I thought it would be a pretty solid case and had no worries going into the interview, since we made the effort spent the money and made sure she was back in the US every 6 months. And this job of mine had only started August 2006 before that, we were both living, working, studying had a child in the US. The lawyer we spoke to after this horrific treatment said we have strong grounds for appeal, and maybe able to overturn the ruling at supervisor level (I am distrusting of lawyers, as she discusses her payment in the same breathe). The IO that handled our case she new him by name and said he doesn't have a very good reputation at the Houston field office.
Basically anyone that is in a similar situation we could really use advice on how to proceed or what to do next. I cannot leave my job, and we have 2 small children, (both US citizens) so traveling back and forth is becoming very cumbersome not mention costly.

If you post timeline of wife's presence in US, we may be able to advice whether appeal is feasable. Are you a US citizen?

Sorry to hear that. For how long you were out of country? Continuosly or with breaks?

Work overseas was for slightly over 2 years (as indicated in the letter from my US employer at the beginning of my rotation). I came back to the US several time to visit during the period, but there were two absences of over 6 months (but well under one year). I applied for citizenship after I had been back in the US for about 3 years. I think outcome is highly dependment on the immigration officer. Mine was polite, but obviously a stickler.

This proves the point that each case is unique and it really depends on how the IO judges the case based on his/her discretionary opinion. There is heated debate in another post where someone in your similar situation got approved. Except he had lived back home for a while and worked there due to family emergency. He applied after being in the US for 1 year.

I think they need to make this part of the law clear, so there is no room for interpretation.

USCIS will send you a written decision about your application"

I had a similar situation as someone mentioned on the forum. officer gave me a receipt with the "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" checked off. Me and my husband had an interview on the same day,.. But he had received his oath ceremony letter 3 days back. I'm still waiting on mine.. hopefully soon. Anyone running in to same situation as mine....

Last edited by a moderator: