• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

USA Passport

Tamer1982

Is any one knows answers for these questions will be appreciated:-
- how many years I have to stay in USA to get its passport??
- I have to stay continus years.so if for any reasons I had to travel to see my family. That's mean I will lose the chance??
- if I got the passport .can I travel to any place for any time even more year for work or for any other reasons?? Or I have to inform that I will be abroad for along time?
Thank you

Look up the requirements for naturalization. That describes what they mean by "continuous" - it doesn't mean you can't leave the US at all. Minimum 5 years to become a citizen, assuming you've met all the requirements. You have to become a citizen to get a passport. Once you're a citizen you can stay outside the US as long as you want, but remember you'll still need to pay US taxes.

Correction - you will need to file US taxes if you are above the income/asset threshold, but will not necessarily have to pay.

5 years as permanent resident to naturalise, you can leave the country for visits, and once you have a passport, you can leave the country for as long as you like.