US Residency Requirements - GC to Citizenship

chatrathi

Registered Users (C)
Hello All:
My wife and I received our GCs in December of 2000. So we will be eligible to apply for citizenship (all residency/legal requirements are fulfilled) around October of next year.

My company may send me on an extended project to South East Asia. It will most likely be for 1.5 to 2 years. And it is also likely that there will be a single stay greater than 6 months (or even an year).

My questions are:
(a) how does this affect our status as LPRs
(b) will it have an impact the timeline for applying for citizenship and
(c) does it affect our application for citizenship

Thanks in advance.
-chatrathi

The re-entry permit in itself does not allow you to maintain eligibility for citizenship right?

The re-entry permit only allows you to stay outside the USA for more than 12 months, but without an N-470, you would need to start your 4 years + 1 day from scratch?

Thanks,

Ratrat

Folks, Thanks for all the responses!

So if I read this correctly, it doesn't matter how (or why) I am out of the country (personal reasons, my company requires me to go), it does indeed affect the timeline for our citizenship application.

I will do some investigation on how (if at all) N-470 will be able to help us.

Thanks!
-chatrathi

chatrathi said:
Hello All:
-chatrathi

how about if you go and come back every 5 months for short trip in the US. and make sure that the total months outside the US are less than 30 months, in this case u will fulfill the requirements (see bellow).
I already did this and i applied for Citizenship but i dont know the result yet.
ask a lawyer about this solution.

Residency Citizenship requirements
-------------------------
An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:
has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
has resided within a state or district for at least three months

JoeF said:
Correct. The reentry permit only help you keep your GC.
Yup.

The permit also is to prove you intended to keep ties to the US when you left. the permit alone is not sufficient for this purpose , but its one of the docs

I am in a similar situation. I would like to know if anyone knows how difficult it is to get a N470 approval and how long it takes.