US Passport Timeline

^^^^
May be the law is different for adopted children, but I wasn't aware that a US passport is needed for SSN. What about US Birth Certificate?

That doesn't sound right at all. According to the official word at http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/children.htm you can get an SSN for an overseas adopted child without proof of citizenship, and update the citizenship status later.

Also, why do you need the SSN so desperately?

Well, we need the SSN just for the obvious reasons...taxes, health insurance, etc. As far as the rule. The problem apparently is this: They can issue a SSN for our son in his Asian name because that is the name on his green card. But he became a citizen under the Child Citizenship Act when the adoption was completed several weeks ago, so now they will not issue him a SSN card in his new name because that name doesnt match the green card, eventhough we have a court order and adoption decree from the court stating the name change, etc. It has something to do with the SS computers will not verify with DHS/USCIS because of the different names. So apparently the only way to fix it is to get a Passport, or they can go ahead and issue the card in his Asian name. This has been such a long process and he such a wonderful child, I just want to have all of this worked out for him now so he never has to worry about it...isnt that what Dads are supposed to do. He is the most wonderful part of my life

Well, we need the SSN just for the obvious reasons...taxes, health insurance, etc.
Taxes don't necessarily need an SSN - an ITIN can be used instead. However, unless you are trying to claim your son on your 2008 return you have plenty of time before you need to worry about this anyway.

Health insurance most certainly doesn't need an SSN though they may claim they do.

Taxes don't necessarily need an SSN - an ITIN can be used instead. However, unless you are trying to claim your son on your 2008 return you have plenty of time before you need to worry about this anyway.

Health insurance most certainly doesn't need an SSN though they may claim they do.

I agree in theory, however our insurance will not allow us to add our son without a SSN in his new name since that is now his legal name.

I agree in theory, however our insurance will not allow us to add our son without a SSN in his new name since that is now his legal name.
What I was trying to say is that the health insurance company cannot require you to give them a social security number under most circumstances. There is a good article here: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm. About half way down it explicitly mentions private health insurance.

Bluegrass1, if I were you I wouldn't be as worried as you are. I think you need to calm down, you are gonna give yourself a heart attack.

Where should I apply for Passport- I am from Western suburbs in Chicago

Hi Guys

My Oath is on April 28th in Chicago Down town.

Need your valuable advice on where should I apply for passport:

1. Should I apply in Chicago downtown post office after the oath?
2. Should I apply in the Passport Agency in Chicago on Dearborn st.
3. Should I apply in the post office near my house in the suburbs

Please let me know which way will be quicker???

What I was trying to say is that the health insurance company cannot require you to give them a social security number under most circumstances. There is a good article here: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm. About half way down it explicitly mentions private health insurance.

Thanks, but our health insurance is through my employer, and they insist on a SSN in his legal name (which is his new name). SS will only issue a card to him in his Asian name until we get a passport or COC.

Hi Guys

My Oath is on April 28th in Chicago Down town.

Need your valuable advice on where should I apply for passport:

1. Should I apply in Chicago downtown post office after the oath?
2. Should I apply in the Passport Agency in Chicago on Dearborn st.
3. Should I apply in the post office near my house in the suburbs

Please let me know which way will be quicker???

You can't apply at the Agency unless you have a planned trip within 14 days. You can apply at any acceptance facility, such as post offices or DMV offices. Unless you have a trip planned, expedited service would be your quickest option.

Thanks, but our health insurance is through my employer, and they insist on a SSN in his legal name (which is his new name). SS will only issue a card to him in his Asian name until we get a passport or COC.
Did you read the article I linked to? By law, a health insurance company cannot require anyone to provide an SSN. Indeed, very few agencies can - the only private ones being banks and employers (for the employee themselves, not dependents). The problem is that because the majority of people have SSNs, companies have taken to using them as individual identifiers, but they have no right to do this and have to accommodate alternatives.

Did you read the article I linked to? By law, a health insurance company cannot require anyone to provide an SSN. Indeed, very few agencies can - the only private ones being banks and employers (for the employee themselves, not dependents). The problem is that because the majority of people have SSNs, companies have taken to using them as individual identifiers, but they have no right to do this and have to accommodate alternatives.

Thanks, I read the article but I'm not sure how to convince my employer insurance company of this. So is it okay for us to use him new name eventhough his SS# is in his Asian name? We have a birth certifcate in his new name and an adoption decree judgment showing the name change.

Thanks, I read the article but I'm not sure how to convince my employer insurance company of this. So is it okay for us to use him new name eventhough his SS# is in his Asian name? We have a birth certifcate in his new name and an adoption decree judgment showing the name change.

If he already has an SSN then it will not change so you don't need to worry about anything. If he doesn't have an SSN then just give all his other details to the insurance company and tell them you are unable to provide an SSN. They will have to create an alternate identifier for him.

Bluegrass1, SSN# doesn't change for a person even if the name changes.

Bluegrass1, SSN# doesn't change for a person even if the name changes.

Thanks visanutz. I know the number will stay the same. So are u saying u think it would be okay to use the ss card if it's issued in his Asian name? Although his legal name has been changed? I know it's the same person and the same number. Thnx

passport card recieved

i recieved my PP card today (04-10-2009) 3 days after my PP book

21 days for PP book
24 days for PP card

Expedited service

Thanks visanutz. I know the number will stay the same. So are u saying u think it would be okay to use the ss card if it's issued in his Asian name? Although his legal name has been changed? I know it's the same person and the same number. Thnx

Yes, it would be just fine. Btw, why do you need to use the actual card? Couldn't you provide the SSN# only?

Yes, it would be just fine. Btw, why do you need to use the actual card? Couldn't you provide the SSN# only?

Thanks again visanutz. So it's okay to go ahead and use our son's new name and ssn although the ssn is currently in his old name? Will this not cause some kind of mix up or something with the government?

Here's the update. My status changed to "application is in final processing stage. I should be getting them on or before 5/9/09". Interesting to see the processing updates over the weekend

Is there any point in me checking for online status updates over the weekend? Does it update over the weekend or Monday morning? Also, a lady at new Orleans told me it was had been through document review and was waiting to be adjudicated, that was on Thursday. Still no new updates. Npic told me Friday night that they were working on it Friday, but if all they had to do was adjudicate it then why would they be working on it again Friday? If there was a problem would they have told me by now? Last Monday my online status said expect by 4/10 but on 4/9 they changed it to 4/15. I do know they put it on hold for a couple hours on 4/8 but then they put it back in processing.

Thanks again visanutz. So it's okay to go ahead and use our son's new name and ssn although the ssn is currently in his old name? Will this not cause some kind of mix up or something with the government?
As it's easier to change ones name than ones SSN, the latter is arguably a better persistent identifier for the government to use. However, you've been talking about health insurance so it has nothing to do with the government. As I said before, health insurance companies do not need an SSN despite what they may claim. Instead they need a unique identifier and they rather lazily try to use people's SSNs for this.