US Passport Timeline

Passport update

AFTER I RECIEVED MY PASSPORT I CHECK THE TATUS AGIAN AND IT SAYS

Your passport application is in the final processing stages.

Your passport application locator number is 1XXXXXXX.

When you applied, you requested Expedite Service.

This means your passport should be mailed via overnight delivery on or about 04/11/2009.

LAST NIGHT WAS ----->>>> WE HAVE FINISHED.....BEEN MAILED
USPS FROM 1111 19TH ST WASHINGTON DC (SHIP DATE APR-06-2009)

Dates ...

Congrats .. looks like you are done.

My estimated date is slipping faster than real time. Moved 2 days later overnight.

I guess having some kind of status showing beats the USCIS site at least!

Hi again everyone. I called the National Passport Processing folks this morning just to check status. By the way, I applied on March 30th at a post office using expedited service. I checked the online status on Monday, April 6th and it said "currently being processed"..."should be delivered on or around 4/10/09"...which will be this Friday, which would be great. However, my status has not changed since Monday, should it have changed? Also when I called the NPIC today they said that the data on the passport website (for all of us) is not considered to be accurate, and that my passport was still being processed in New Orleans. So should I still look for it on Friday, 4/10, or is none of the data on there accurate anymore? I am confused. Will my online status at least change by Friday?

So are the times on the online status part of the websites accurate, you think? Maybe the folks handling the calls at the NPIC are just misninformed about whether the website time frames are accurate? What do you think?

Your status will change to final stages of processing when its ready to be sent.Thats what happened to my spouse.

Hi Pologuys: How close your estimated time of delivery date given on the website did you notice your status change to "final stages"? I mean when you looked at the site and it said "currently being processed", should be delivered by ___, was it right before that date that your noticed your status changed to "final stages". Thanks, I'm just trying to figure this all out.

So are the times on the online status part of the websites accurate, you think? Maybe the folks handling the calls at the NPIC are just misninformed about whether the website time frames are accurate? What do you think?
Empirical evidence would suggest they're not. My guess is that there are a number of milestones during the processing and at each of these the online system updates the estimate using an average processing time for the next stage(s) rather than any time specific to the individual application.

Empirical evidence would suggest they're not. My guess is that there are a number of milestones during the processing and at each of these the online system updates the estimate using an average processing time for the next stage(s) rather than any time specific to the individual application.

I wonder then I should expect to see my online status change as we get closer to 4/10? It still says "currently being processed". I'm wondering how close to the date that was given when listed as "currently being processed" did most people see their status change to "final stages" or something else?

Hi Pologuys: How close your estimated time of delivery date given on the website did you notice your status change to "final stages"? I mean when you looked at the site and it said "currently being processed", should be delivered by ___, was it right before that date that your noticed your status changed to "final stages". Thanks, I'm just trying to figure this all out.
My status changed on 4/5/09 and passport received on 4/7/09

Check cash question for regular service

Dear Members

I mailed by PP application through post office by regular service on 4/4/09. How long it takes to get checks cashed?

I appreciate the input.

Checks for PP application

Hello Members,

Any input how long it takes to get the check cashed for regular processing for passport :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi, I am hoping that someone can tell me how to proceed. I have posted here before but I can give more details. The passport we applied for is for my infant son, who we adopted from Asia. The adoption is now final and we needed to apply for a US Passport for him to establish citizenship with Social Security etc. According to the Child Citizenship Act of 2002, once a child from another country is adopted by American parents, he/she automotically acquires US Citizenship once the adoption is final. Our adoption has been final for about 8 weeks.

We were supposed to submit (along with the passport application), his green card, the final court decree of Adoption, and the new US birth certificate. We had applied for a SS# but had not yet received the card at the time we applied for his passport.

So, we applied for the passport at a local post office on 3/30/09 and paid extra for expedited service. The guy took the passport photos and I was a little concerned that the photo of our son had his head tilted a little bit but the guy at the post office assured me all would be fine.

So on Monday (4/6) I checked the status online and it said "currently being processed"..."should be delivered on or about 4/10/09".

Since then I have checked the status each day and it says the same thing. I decided to call the NPIC on Wednesday (4/8) just to see what they said.

When I called Wednesday morning (4/8) the lady simply said it was being processed, and that the dates listed on the website (checking status online) were not usually accurate.

I called back on the same day (4/8) about 1:15 pm and spoke to a gentleman this time. He looked up the info and said that it looks like the application is being "held" at this point. When I asked what that meant, he said that it could be being "held" because their is a problem, or it could be because they are verifying info or something of that sort. He said that he would e-mail the New Orleans Passport folks and have them to contact me within 72 hours. This really had me worried. Apparently it's impossible for a person to just contact New Orleans directly (we live in the midwest).

I called the NPIC back at 4:00 just to see what they said again. This time a lady told me that it was "currently being processed"! I asked her if she was showing that it was being "held" or anything or if there were any problems and she said that as far as she could tell, it was currently being processed.

I called the NPIC back one last time at 6:30pm again on 4/8 and this time spoke to a man. He said that it was currently being processed, and that it "looks like" they are almost finished with it. I asked him about the other person telling me it was being "held" earlier and he said that he saw that person's notes on the account but that right now it was showing "currently being processed" and he said it looks like they "had it back out working on it at 10:54 today", whatever that means? He also said again that it looks like "they are almost ready to finish it up".

So now, I don't what to think? As of this morning (Thursday, 4/9) the online status still says "currently being processed", BUT now it says should be delivered on or about 4/15/09 (it had always said 4/10/09 until this morning)

What do you think?

I'm sorry for the long story but I was hoping if I explained everything here then perhaps some folks here might know more about how all this works and be able to help me understand. Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Members,

Any input how long it takes to get the check cashed for regular processing for passport :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks a lot for the help.

I applied at a post office on 4/6 expedited. They cashed my personal check today - although it wasn't regular "cashing of a check", they electronically withdrew the check amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Turaround

I can confirm that the online status is pretty random.

I dropped my expedited/overnight retuen application off at the oath ceremony on the 1st Apr. Got passport yesterday the 8th. Not bad.

It was processed somewhere on the East Coast. I'm on he West Cost.

for electronic payment does it say this

Hi,

It shows following in my acct for $75 check I issued to "US dept of state"
PAYMENT,E-CHECK xxxx PASSPORT NATIONL PAYMENT

sounds correct?

Thanks

Reference point for tracking:

Applied 3/4/09 at Prudential Ctr Boston
Received 4/6/09 by priority mail
Regular processing

Thanks for the reply.

I applied on 4/4 and they haven't cashed my check yet. Is that normal or I should be worried???:confused:

Hi, I am hoping that someone can tell me how to proceed. I have posted here before but I can give more details. The passport we applied for is for my infant son, who we adopted from Asia. The adoption is now final and we needed to apply for a US Passport for him to establish citizenship with Social Security etc. According to the Child Citizenship Act of 2002, once a child from another country is adopted by American parents, he/she automotically acquires US Citizenship once the adoption is final. Our adoption has been final for about 8 weeks.

We were supposed to submit (along with the passport application), his green card, the final court decree of Adoption, and the new US birth certificate. We had applied for a SS# but had not yet received the card at the time we applied for his passport.

So, we applied for the passport at a local post office on 3/30/09 and paid extra for expedited service. The guy took the passport photos and I was a little concerned that the photo of our son had his head tilted a little bit but the guy at the post office assured me all would be fine.

So on Monday (4/6) I checked the status online and it said "currently being processed"..."should be delivered on or about 4/10/09".

Since then I have checked the status each day and it says the same thing. I decided to call the NPIC on Wednesday (4/8) just to see what they said.

When I called Wednesday morning (4/8) the lady simply said it was being processed, and that the dates listed on the website (checking status online) were not usually accurate.

I called back on the same day (4/8) about 1:15 pm and spoke to a gentleman this time. He looked up the info and said that it looks like the application is being "held" at this point. When I asked what that meant, he said that it could be being "held" because their is a problem, or it could be because they are verifying info or something of that sort. He said that he would e-mail the New Orleans Passport folks and have them to contact me within 72 hours. This really had me worried. Apparently it's impossible for a person to just contact New Orleans directly (we live in the midwest).

I called the NPIC back at 4:00 just to see what they said again. This time a lady told me that it was "currently being processed"! I asked her if she was showing that it was being "held" or anything or if there were any problems and she said that as far as she could tell, it was currently being processed.

I called the NPIC back one last time at 6:30pm again on 4/8 and this time spoke to a man. He said that it was currently being processed, and that it "looks like" they are almost finished with it. I asked him about the other person telling me it was being "held" earlier and he said that he saw that person's notes on the account but that right now it was showing "currently being processed" and he said it looks like they "had it back out working on it at 10:54 today", whatever that means? He also said again that it looks like "they are almost ready to finish it up".

So now, I don't what to think? As of this morning (Thursday, 4/9) the online status still says "currently being processed", BUT now it says should be delivered on or about 4/15/09 (it had always said 4/10/09 until this morning)

What do you think?

I'm sorry for the long story but I was hoping if I explained everything here then perhaps some folks here might know more about how all this works and be able to help me understand. Thank you so much!

Here's a quick update: A lady from the New Orleans office called me a few minutes ago (very very nice lady) who it was now being processed in document review and that there had been an "exception" that caused the application to be put on hold but apparently they had resolved it because it was put back in document review for processing. She said that the lady who was processing it in document review had finished it and now it was waiting to be given the final approval from her supervisor. Does that make sense? I hope she knows what she is talking about and I pray the supervisor okays everything. She said that she would call me if there was a problem she was aware of, but otherwise she would not. I'm a nervous wreck, the Social Security folks will not issue my son (who is 1 year old) a SSN without a US Passport.