US Passport Timeline

Update. I applied my passport with my spouse. My spouse passport alone came in a priority mail from NH. I am waiting for mine.

Hi everyone, I am new here and I am so glad to find this forum, it is very informative and everyone seems very helpful.

I was able to check my passport status online this afternoon (I applied at a local post office on March 30th) using expedited service. My status says:

"Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed. " and then it has the passport application locator #. Does the "Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed" message mean that my passport is approved and we are just waiting on the book to be printed? Or does it not necessarily mean everything is approved yet? It also said I should receive it on 4/10/09. Thanks!

My Passport App Locator # starts with a 41 (and it is a 9 digit number)so does that mean New Orleans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I am new here and I am so glad to find this forum, it is very informative and everyone seems very helpful.

I was able to check my passport status online this afternoon (I applied at a local post office on March 30th) using expedited service. My status says:

"Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed. " and then it has the passport application locator #. Does the "Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed" message mean that my passport is approved and we are just waiting on the book to be printed? Or does it not necessarily mean everything is approved yet? It also said I should receive it on 4/10/09. Thanks!

My Passport App Locator # starts with a 41 (and it is a 9 digit number)so does that mean New Orleans?
Your application is being processed and you will receive them before 4/10.

Not sure if 41 means it is being processes in New Orleans.

Your application is being processed and you will receive them before 4/10.

Not sure if 41 means it is being processes in New Orleans.

Thanks! So does that mean I was approved and they are printing it? Or will the status change to "final stages of processing" when they get ready to send it? Thank you so much!

I'm happy to say that I was able to pick up my passport today at the Chicago Passport Agency. It was quick and effective, save the arrogant pricks calling themselves security guards or whatever. I got my Naturalization Certificate too. I'm still waiting on my Passport Card but that's not urgent as I have my Passport Book and can finally say that I will make that trip on Wednesday! :)

Good luck to all and hang in there.

Thanks! So does that mean I was approved and they are printing it? Or will the status change to "final stages of processing" when they get ready to send it? Thank you so much!
Your status will change to final stages of processing when its ready to be sent.Thats what happened to my spouse.

I'm happy to say that I was able to pick up my passport today at the Chicago Passport Agency. It was quick and effective, save the arrogant pricks calling themselves security guards or whatever. I got my Naturalization Certificate too. I'm still waiting on my Passport Card but that's not urgent as I have my Passport Book and can finally say that I will make that trip on Wednesday! :)

Good luck to all and hang in there.

Congrats Mr. Vertigo.
Did you have to call and setup an appointment or did you just go there asking for your passport?

Congrats Mr. Vertigo.
Did you have to call and setup an appointment or did you just go there asking for your passport?

Thanks. I did have an appointment, and the guards did ask me if I have one, but I wasn't asked for a confirmation # by the people that handle passport-issues at the agency. I would still set one up.

Status update

I GOT THIS MASSAGE TODAY

Your passport application locator number is 1XXXXXX.

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you.

You paid for overnight delivery. This means you should receive your passport on or about 04/08/2009.

and total 21 days so far for expedited service

good luck to all still waiting

I GOT THIS MASSAGE TODAY

Your passport application locator number is 1XXXXXX.

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you.

You paid for overnight delivery. This means you should receive your passport on or about 04/08/2009.

and total 21 days so far for expedited service

good luck to all still waiting

Congratulations! Did your online status change directly from "currently being processed" to "we have finished processing" or was there a status in between those 2? Also did your status say "currently being processed" for many days? Thanks and Congratulations!

First of all, Congratulations to everyone who has received their passports! I am very glad to find to this forum and learn more about the timelines! Sorry if I ask some repetitive questions but this whole process is very new to me. I posted this on the "passports" forum but thought I would also ask here....

If there were to be a problem, what would the "online status" say? Would they change the status? Right now it says "Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed", and that it should be delivered around 4/10/09. We applied on March 30th (about 8 days ago today) but I didnt check the online status until April 6th so I dont know how long it has been saying "It is currently being processed". If the status hasnt changed by the 8th or 9th should I be worried? Sorry for all the questions, this is totally new to me and I really thank you all.

Also, IF they "cashed" the check then does that mean everything is approved?

Congratulations. You got your passport in 19 days.

It has been 12 days since I applied and the online system still can't even find my passport application.

Update: I have received my passport. Waiting for the passport card and the Natz Cert

If there were to be a problem, what would the "online status" say?
What sort of problem are you concerned about? Assuming your photos meet the requirements and your naturalization certificate isn't a fake then the process should be automatic.

Well, we live in a small town and I have my doubts about whether the guy at the post office did the photos right (My head was tilted a little but he assure me the photos would be okay). Would they have informed me by now if there was a problem?

Overnight Shipping Company

Anyone know what method they use to ovenight ship on expedited passport applications. Is it FedEx or USPS or what?

Any idea if they send it signature required?

Thanks.

Well, we live in a small town and I have my doubts about whether the guy at the post office did the photos right (My head was tilted a little but he assure me the photos would be okay). Would they have informed me by now if there was a problem?

Photos taken at the post office are usually fine.

This post decribes the NPIC returning the photo between 7 and 9 days. However the gentleman seems to have taken his own photos. http://whirledview.typepad.com/whir...0b#comment-6a00d834515f8469e201156f561868970b

Edit: You should be fine since your information is in the system. According to this post, NPIC does not cash your check or enter the information into the system if the photos are bad http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/939902-passport-s-final-journey-usa-version.html

Last edited by a moderator:
passport recieved

I recieved my passport book + naz certi today
applied march -17 ------>>> 21 days still waiting for PP CARD
on apr 4 i checked the status ------->>>> being processed
--- should be delivered on or about Apr - 8

last night i checked again ------>>>> we have finished........ passport been mailed ................. delivered APR-8

CHECK MAIL THIS AFTERNOON : PASSPORT WAS THERE
EXPRESS MAIL EMS (EXTREMELY URGENT) ;)

good luck everyone still waiting
MY WAINGTING DAYS ARE OVER NO MORE USCI