US H1 Visa expired- Extension applied - Trip to Hawaii

namitanamburi

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I came to US in 2007 on F1 and then converted to H1 ( under regular cap not masters Cap).

I am on H1B currently and my visa is expiring on Sep 30,2010. I filed my H1b extension, can i travel to hawaii and come back to US.

Please Advise.

Nammu

Last time i checked Hawaii was a US State and you don't even need a Passport to travel between US mainland and Hawaii. Now if you are extra extra cautious like concerned4us you can carry paperwork for your whole family tree, I do carry my USC Passport Card in my wallet but then again it sits in my Waller any way traveling or not.
All State DL And ID's are accepted as a positive ID everywhere except in some states a stand alone DL and ID is not enough to get new DL and ID in those states but that's only if you want a New one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will your I-94 be valid at the time of travel?

Remember visa is for entry, I-94 is for legal stay.

Carry your passport as best proof of identity for air travel. Even I as a US citizen carry mine since my states DL is not considered on of the really secure ones.

Thank you all for the reply. I have not travelled out of country after I received my old H1 ( i-94) which is going to expire on Sep 30,2010. So can I travel now to Hawaii? Will my entry back be denied as my i-94 is expiring shortly. Is it safe to go afterI get my new I - 797....Are all these irrelevant as Hawaii is one among US states, Just want to make sure if it is safe to travel or if it can trigger any immigration issues. I do not want to go to home country for stamping at this time? Hence being meticulous.....:)

Thanks
Nammu

Hawaii is part of United States and any travel there is considered domestic travel. The only thing you need is your drivers license for ID. You don't go through immigration at all.
Having said that, it is a good idea to carry a copy of your I-94 to prove that you are legally in the US. This is something you should do even when you are not traveling.

Hey I also wanted similar information but probably need to provide few more details. My H1 visa is going to expire tomorrow and my I-94 is going to expire Nov 14th. My DL is also expiring tomorrow. I have applied for my extension couple of months back and waiting for response. Can I still travel to Hawaii without any issues during thanksgiving?

Upgrade to petition PP for the easiest travel. If you can afford to go to HI, you can afford the $1000.

I'll add that I am a USC with DL valid for many more years, and I won't travel by air outside my normal area (adjacent states) without my passport. I always worry that there may be an issue with the acceptance of my DL by TSA officials not extremely familiar with my state's DL. OF course, I plan for the worst case.

Last edited by a moderator: