1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Rajiv's opinion piece on H-1B Executive Order, please read and share.

How 'Hire American' may do more harm than good to our economy

Dismiss Notice

US Entry related question regarding CIMTs

Discussion in 'Criminal Convictions and Act' started by Wayne W, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Wayne W

Wayne W New Member

I am looking to take my brother on vacation (flight to FL then a 10 day cruise).

The problem I encounter is that he has multiple CIMTs.

I have tried to obtain an answer, but I cannot get anything definitive... so it is my hope you might be able to give me an answer.

It is in regards to the following:

Conviction of Two or More Offenses [INA ยง 212(a)(2)(B)]: Any foreign national convicted of 2 or more offenses, regardless of whether the conviction was in a single trial or whether the offenses arose from a single scheme of misconduct, and regardless of whether the offenses involved moral turpitude, for which the aggregate sentences to confinement were 5 years or more, is inadmissible.

My brother was charged with fraud and utter forge doc. These are his only adult charges. He received a 3 year suspended sentence in Canada (which was probation with upto 9 months prison if he reoffended). He went through probation without issue and has not been charged since.

I am really wanting to take him on a trip. It is my hope that I can take him on this cruise. If I am unable to, I will take him to the Dominican... but I rather go for 10 days on a cruise ship with him.

Please help!

2. newacct

newacct Well-Known Member

what's the question?

3. Wayne W

Wayne W New Member

Is he eligible to enter the USA?

There seems to be a sentence of less than 5yrs incarceration (was only probation and not jail/prison), but I'm not sure about the aggregated sentence aspect

4. newacct

newacct Well-Known Member

I think he probably has the lifetime 2B ban. The multiple offenses don't have to be CIMTs; they can be any offenses. He could still try to enter and see what happens, or apply for a waiver.

5. Wayne W

Wayne W New Member

I hope I can get a more definitive answer. I wouldn't want him to try and get rejected as we're on US soil waiting to go to the boat for the cruise. That would be a waste of money to have got his plane and cruise tickets for nothing :(