• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Us embassy Nairobi, Kenya dv visa interview experience

mahyuni

Registered Users (C)
My friends went for an interview at the embassy today but they didnt get their visa approved or rejected.they were asked to bring more proof about their relationship.in the initial application he didnt include the girlfriend.But he then got married before the results.when he applies for the visa he included the girl who was now a wife.despite having the marrige certificate they were asked for more proof.any suggestion what kind of proof the embassy may need to proof their relationship?

The things we always recommend in this situation. Proof the relationship existed prior to the DV win (May of last year). Such proof might include:

Phone records showing they called each other
Text messages/Emails
Photos together on trips
Joint financial records or bills
Photos from the wedding, list of guest, wedding announcements - anything like that.

Thanks Bristimon for your reply i see uv been on the thread for a long time have there been such situations where people were turned down just because they didnt have enough proof of their relationship could send me the link if possible.they have couple pics fb and dms.they didnt have anything ceremonial with the wedding.is there anything they could do within the 8 days.wil getting an affidavit help.

My friends went for an interview at the embassy today but they didnt get their visa approved or rejected.they were asked to bring more proof about their relationship.in the initial application he didnt include the girlfriend.But he then got married before the results.when he applies for the visa he included the girl who was now a wife.despite having the marrige certificate they were asked for more proof.any suggestion what kind of proof the embassy may need to proof their relationship?
It will help to convincingly proof that the relationship existed and the marriage took place before DV results were published last May, if this is indeed the case. If the relationship initiated after, the hurdle will be higher - not impossible, but just that: Higher.

They moved in together before the results were published.when the results come out and luckly he was selected so when sending the Ds260 applying for the visa he applied as married.The 2nd letter which invited them for the interview they even had her name on it.only to go for the interview to be told they needed more proof

They moved in together before the results were published.when the results come out and luckly he was selected so when sending the Ds260 applying for the visa he applied as married.The 2nd letter which invited them for the interview they even had her name on it.only to go for the interview to be told they needed more proof
So what does their marriage certificate or whatever they presented as proof say? They were officially married by the time they completed their DS-260's as being married, right? The fact that the 2nd NL included her name does not mean much, they still needed to provide proof at interview, and what they did present was obviously not sufficient from CO's pov. They will now have a few days to provide 100% convincing and final proof, they won't get a third chance unfortunately.

Last edited:

They need to supply some proof as I outlined. It shouldn't be a surprise - they are obviously concerned about some couples etting married to get an extra Green Card. Since they have been asked for proof, they must now provide it.

Thanks Bristimon for your reply i see uv been on the thread for a long time have there been such situations where people were turned down just because they didnt have enough proof of their relationship could send me the link if possible.they have couple pics fb and dms.they didnt have anything ceremonial with the wedding.is there anything they could do within the 8 days.wil getting an affidavit help.

Yes there have been cases of people being turned down. If there is little or no proof of a real relationship then the conclusion is that it is a "green card marriage". Both will be turned down for visas in that case and possibly barred from ever getting a US visa again. So any proof they have, they must show. Most couples have photos and correspondence or phone logs of some sort over time, plus getting things mailed to both of them at the same address at least since they got married if not before, etc. if the relationship is real, 8 days should be plenty of time to collect such things.

The things we always recommend in this situation. Proof the relationship existed prior to the DV win (May of last year). Such proof might include:

Phone records showing they called each other
Text messages/Emails
Photos together on trips
Joint financial records or bills
Photos from the wedding, list of guest, wedding announcements - anything like that.
Hi Brit's connect me with Kenyans in Nairobi

So my friends sent the proof they had at the embassy on tue and today the embassy told them to send their passports does it mean their visa were approved?

So my friends sent the proof they had at the embassy on tue and today the embassy told them to send their passports does it mean their visa were approved?

That is a good assumption as it is the only reason to ask for the passports, however as USCIS and we also say here, nothing is assured until you actually have your visa!

Quick question do they like stamp anything on the passports incase the visa is denied

I don't believe so, as many cases are denied without the passport being present (denied from AP for example) but the details will of course be in the USCIS system.

Quick question do they like stamp anything on the passports incase the visa is denied
Of course this should not apply to the DV application of your friends, who definitely should check their DV status online, yet as a general answer to your question: no they won't include a notation in the passport regarding visa refusal (this would be noted electronically for future DoS and DHS use), however depending on what the required IV security clearance process may have unveiled, the US Consulate might invalidate existing US NIV/IV visa in a passport if so warranted.

Last edited:
So my friends got their visas aproved they. Managed to proof about their marriage through couple photos, Facebook conversations lawyer affidavit.travel plans underway. Do they have. To use immigration to buy tickets or book for their flights or they can just buy tickets anyhow.do having the dv visa really determine the air fees one is gone pay.if not any suggestions of how to get them cheaper air tickets will be highly appreciated.thanks y'all

So my friends got their visas aproved they. Managed to proof about their marriage through couple photos, Facebook conversations lawyer affidavit.travel plans underway. Do they have. To use immigration to buy tickets or book for their flights or they can just buy tickets anyhow.do having the dv visa really determine the air fees one is gone pay.if not any suggestions of how to get them cheaper air tickets will be highly appreciated.thanks y'all

They don't need to show anything to buy the tickets and also having certain visas does not change the airfare. Be aware that for some airlines (but not all) it can be cheaper buying a return ticket than a one way even if you never use the return so check both options always. Still suggest until they actually have their visas in hand they do not book (it's not clear from your post if they have them back yet or just been told they are approved).

Actually, they may be able to get some discount if purchasing the flight tickets from IOM compared to buying directly from the airline or through some other agents. They will need to present their passports with the visa stamps in order to purchase flight tickets through IOM.

Provide the following link to your friends for information on how to contact IOM and get further assistance:

http://kenya.iom.int/contact-us