US Citizenship: permanent resident will expire 12/2016 wanted to work as contract worker overseas

victorce79

Registered Users (C)
I have a question regarding my situation: I am a Canadian Citizen with permanent resident will expire on 12/2016. I have a job offer to work overseas with a vacation of 14 days every 4 months. my question is can I apply my US Citizenship will I am away from the US, just come when there is an interview, etc? How long do you think the application here in Dallas, Texas?

If someone can help me answer those question. Thank you very much.

I have a question regarding my situation: I am a Canadian Citizen with permanent resident will expire on 12/2016. I have a job offer to work overseas with a vacation of 14 days every 4 months. my question is can I apply my US Citizenship will I am away from the US, just come when there is an interview, etc?

If your travel history in the past 5 years includes long periods of employment overseas, and you're still spending a lot of time overseas during the naturalization process, your case will almost surely be denied unless you have a qualifying exception such as N-470 or military service. Apply at least 6 months after the end of your overseas assignment if you want a good chance of approval.

Read up on N-470 to see if you and your employer abroad would qualify. With an approved N-470 you wouldn't have to worry about the time working abroad counting against your naturalization eligibility.

However, the N-470 would not preserve your green card, so you would still have to come back to the US at least once every 12 months or obtain a reentry permit.

I've got my green card 12/2006 and this is my first time to work overseas with every 4 months coming home for vacation of 14 days. I stayed 8 years straight here in the US. Wanted to know if I would apply by January my citizenship application before I leave and come home when there is an interview or what ever, would it be possible?

I've got my green card 12/2006 and this is my first time to work overseas with every 4 months coming home for vacation of 14 days. I stayed 8 years straight here in the US. Wanted to know if I would apply by January my citizenship application before I leave and come home when there is an interview or what ever, would it be possible?

You can try, but like others have stated already, it will raise red flags, and will indicate to the officer that you have given up on your permanent residency. Why didn't you apply for US citizenship before? Is it a temporary assignment?

This is only a contract work overseas. I am not giving up my residency. US is my home, if they will not approve it, better renew the green card instead and it will be for 10 yrs again, any way I am Canadian citizen, I am back and forth every 4 months, needs an immigration lawyer any body here? Needs your comments.........

Working abroad throughout most of the naturalization process is a sign that you are in the process of relocating abroad permanently (or have already relocated) and now you just want to get US citizenship because it's your last chance. That's why it's important to wait some months after returning from abroad, to convince them the stay abroad was temporary.

It's not impossible to get approved though, especially if you have other factors in your favor such as having a house or spouse staying in the US while you work abroad. So you could apply anyway and see what happens. And there is the N-470 option, I don't know if you've explored that.