US citizenship - Canada trips counted?

sshah1001

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends,

I have a relative who has a US greencard and has visited Canada and stayed for total about 3 times. For these visits, she does not have any stamp on her passport for entry/exit from US or Canada. In total, she has stayed for about 10 months in these trips. She has not stayed for more than 6 months in any single visit. In this scenario, Will she be eligible to apply for US citizenship after she completes 5 years from the date of GC or she has to wait for another 10 months? If she applies for US citizenship after 5 years and mention Canada visit of 10 months, will it get rejected?

Please help.

Thanks!

Sam

She has spent 10 months total in 5 years outside the US? That is completely fine. Do you think you have to stay in the US for 5 years without leaving in order to apply for citizenship? No!

Even if her passport wasn't stamped, CBP likely have details of her trip from when the passport/green card were probably scanned. She must not lie on her naturalisation application about her trips to Canada.

She has spent 10 months total in 5 years outside the US? That is completely fine. Do you think you have to stay in the US for 5 years without leaving in order to apply for citizenship? No!

Even if her passport wasn't stamped, CBP likely have details of her trip from when the passport/green card were probably scanned. She must not lie on her naturalisation application about her trips to Canada.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Question is can she apply for citizenship after 5 years or wait another 10 months which she has stayed in Canada?

Thanks!

10 months of travel does not reset the continuous residence clock - only a stay of over 6 months in one trip might, and one of over a year will. She can apply after five years. Has she taken any other trips? How many months has she spent outside the US in total?

10 months of travel does not reset the continuous residence clock - only a stay of over 6 months in one trip might, and one of over a year will. She can apply after five years. Has she taken any other trips? How many months has she spent outside the US in total?

She has not taken any other trips except to Canada. She has stayed in Canada for about 10 months in total in all trips combined and not exceeding more than 6 months in a single trip.

Also, she does not have a record of all her trips neither it is there on her passport. Can she put estimated dates in her citizenship application?

Thanks again.

I think she can apply for US citizenship and also she should hire a good attorney to handle her case and i hope she will definitely.

I think she can apply for US citizenship and also she should hire a good attorney to handle her case and i hope she will definitely.

Why does she need an attorney? It sounds pretty straightforward. Residence requirements comfortably met and no crimes etc involved.