US Citizenship After Divorce

lagosguy

Registered Users (C)
I got my green card through my ex-wife, we were married for 4 years and i have my green card for 3.5 years, when i decide to file for citizenship after 5 years, will the fact that i filed for divorce create problems for me

Can't speak to your situation but I was married for 15 years - ex-spouse also holds GC ... whole family has unconditional GC.

I have applied based on 5+ years (been here for 12, unconditional GC for nearly 10).

Is your GC unconditional? That is probably the crux of your question.

I do not see your divorce, after 4 years of marriage, to cause problems for you.

I got my green card through my ex-wife, we were married for 4 years and i have my green card for 3.5 years, when i decide to file for citizenship after 5 years, will the fact that i filed for divorce create problems for me

I had my interview on August 16th at the San Diego downtown office. I was married in September 2006 and divorced in June 2010. I had applied based on the 5 year rule. I have no children, tickets, or any anomalies. The interviewer kept prodding my past marriage and writing what I said directly on my form such as argued a lot and did not get along (he would say it out loud as he wrote things). He would try to trick me constantly by saying things such as so was she unfaithful or were you? He pretended to write and said out loud after 2 months of the marriage things were sour (I had previously said 3 years)? Did you fight about finances? Who do you live with now? Do you have a girlfriend? What does she do? The questions went on and on. The questions were bizarre and he kept grilling me in an annoying manner to prove my marriage was fraud. Apparently not having children is weird. I married young at the age of 22 so children weren't in the books. He again asked me about infidelity. At this point I snapped at him and let him know how I felt. To which he replied that if I go on the offense he can make things really bad for me. I told him I was on the defense and I think he got the message because the marital questions ended there. He said that he's doing his job and I should appreciate that they do fraud checks and don't just hand out citizenship. I was approved in the end and I apologized to him about my outburst and left. I still feel as though all of this was excessive and unnecessary creating a negative experience for a day that otherwise was delightful. Just be prepared to keep your cool and answer whatever questions you are asked.