Urgent help on F1 possible out of status

Registered Users (C)
Dear Buddies:

I came to the U.S on Feb this year with F1. The first I-20 expired in May this year. In August(after summer vacation), I transferred to another college. My current DSO sent my new I-20 to data entry center in London,KY at the end of August. Now it is October,almost 1.5 months, data center has not sent back my I-20.
Because my first I-20 expired in May,the former school neglected firstly extending my status then allowing transfer. This means that during June,July and August there was no a document guarantee my legal status. However, since students do benefit a summer vacation, I am always not sure if I am out of status.Now the new school accepted me with the new I-20. I still wonder why INS has not returned back my I-20 after 1.5 months. Did they endorse my new I-20 or will let me make a reinstatement?
Who knows when INS will return back my I-20 or who could comment my current situation?
Thank you in advance

Summer or not, a student on F1 should have a valid I-20 at all times (except when you are on OPT post graduation where the OPT ending period supersedes the I-20 expiration date). I would ask for advice from the second school's DSO or an attorney. The INS might be indeed justified in asking you what you were doing during the summer if you were not attending either school.