URGENT: Conference before start of J1 program

Is it OK to attend the conference?

• Yes, can attend any activity as long as it is 30 days before the postdoc program

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the conference is still within the general research area of the postdoc program

• Yes, the paper to be presented at conference is unrelated to the Berkeley postdoc program

• Maybe, but risky

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not at all, will be denied entry to US due to other reasons

• Total voters

pamela1

Registered Users (C)
I will be starting my postdoc research at University of California at Berkeley under a J1 visa. I understand that J1 visa holders are allowed to enter US 30 days before the start of the program (postdoc research) to settle down and prepare for the program. I need to attend a 5-day conference 7 days before the start of the postdoc research program at a different city (Atlanta). There is a 2-day gap between the end of the conference and the start of the postdoc research. The conference is not sponsored by US but by my home country. I am rather confused :(

1) Under my J1 visa, am I allowed to attend a conference before the start of the postdoc research?

2) Would an authorization letter from my J1 visa sponsor to attend the conference suffice for justification of the 7-day gap before traveling from Atlanta to the final destination (California)? Or would I need a separate visa for the conference? I understand that there are delays for a B1 to J1 visa conversion. I would like to know the best way to minimize any delays.

3) Alternatively, would it be better not to mention about the conference at all to the immigration officer when I arrive?

4) Do I need to land at the airport closest to University of California at Berkeley where my J1 program will be? Is it OK to land at Atlanta Airport on my first arrival to US?

5) Under my J1 visa, would it be acceptable to have a 7-day gap between landing at Atlanta and flying to Oakland ( California)?

I am under much stress due to the close dates between the conference and research program. The start dates of both the conference and postdoctoral research program are quite rigid. Let me know if there is any way for attending the conference and following the conference, immediately starting my postdoctoral research program without leaving US and without any delays. I will be traveling SOON and would be grateful for any quick suggestion and advice. For previous travelers, I am eager to hear your experience on attending a conference on a J1 visa immediately prior to the start of the program. Thanks so much.

Okay to attend conference

1. Yes. Actually, you can do anything you want like vacation or just settle down or attend a conference not related to your field of study (if this conference was about cooking or makeup you can attend it).
2. No separate visa needed at all.
3. There is no reason to lie to the officer but most likely the questioning will be around your postdoc study and it is understood that you will attend conferences or go on a vacation or attend conferences on dogs or cooking or makeup.
4. No. You can land anywhere in the country and no one cares. In any case, most people go through immigration at their first landing in the US and after that make connections, so someone could come to NYC from Europe (go through immigration) and then make a connection to California. Many people will often travel or vacation or visit friends/family before going to study anyway.
5. Yes.

Pamela, relax, this is America, the land of the free. As long as you don't violate the terms of your visa, like working illegally or breaking other laws, you can come early, stop ten times before showing up at the university, attend conferences on pizza making, and have fun. So smile and good luck with your research. Just chill out now!

Thanks - research conference - OK?

del0175, thanks a lot, really appreciate your helpful answers :) Nice to hear that I can land at any airport and can even enjoy my time before I start my Berkeley postdoc. I was under the impression that I had to rush directly to Berkeley! Before Berkeley, I will be attending a conference in Atlanta within my general research area, but not specifically the research topic for my Berkeley postdoc. Will this be OK?

1) Would the immigration officer ask about the conference? If so, what would be the best way to clarify?

2) Will the immigration officer ask for flight itinerary including all my connecting flights to Oakland? If so, what would be the best way explain each stop and the length of stay? Are hotel bookings required?

3) I still do not have a confirmed room at Berkeley although I have applied under the university and have documents from the university. Will this be a problem?

Actually, it'll be my first time to US. I have no experience with immigration at the airport or possible documents required other than my passport and J1 visa. :confused:

Any advice would be great. Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
More about conference

More about the conference - I'll be presenting a research paper unrelated to the work at Berkeley at the conference. Still, the conference is within my general research area. The general research scope of the conference so wide that it touches some parts of what I will be doing at Berkeley. It's a really big conference - over 6000 participants from all over the world. Any thoughts on this? Really need advice and help on deciding whether to attend the conference on J1. Many thanks......

Last edited by a moderator:
1. No. The officer has zero interest in asking what you plan to do before the university. The way he will not ask about what you plan to eat or wear or which friends you are seeing beforehand. If she or he does, you can say that you will attend "name of conference" before heading to CA. The discussion should end there because these are professionals who know that an academic has to attend conferences. As I said before you can attend a totally different conference because you are free to do so the way you are free to spend your time in the mall or the beach.
2. No. Actually, there is no requirement that you even have a ticket to Berkeley at that time. You can always come just to Atlanta first and then buy a ticket. No one cares how you will get there because those concerns were already addressed when you were given a visa.
3. No. It is your problem, not that of the United States. It is understood that you will eventually find a place to stay but the main job of the immigration officer is to check that you are the same person who was issued a visa and have no bad intentions in the US.

Read this to familiarize before coming http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/

Other than passport with the visa, you might want to have the folder with your acceptance and correspondence with the university handy, though, all that paperwork has already been checked and you should not need it again. For your peace of mind, you can have it handy.

Thanks

del0175, Thanks so much for the clarification on immigration procedure at the airport. Really helps me to prepare mentally for the trip. I'll definitely bring along all the correspondence with Berkeley.