1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading status from LPR to us citizen

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by justmarried10, Jun 13, 2010.

  1. justmarried10

    justmarried10 Registered Users (C)

    hey everyone
    have a question concerning my case.my wife sent i-130 for me on april 30.on may 20 she became a us citizen.she immediately called uscis to upgrade our case.they told her that she didn't need to send in naturalization certificate unless it was asked for.my questions are:

    1.is it normal procedure not to send in naturalization certificate or should we send it in as a precaution?
    2.now that our petition is approved is there anyway of checking our status at nvc to ensure that our petition was upgraded to spouse of usc?

    would appreciate all answers
  2. sukhi

    sukhi Registered Users (C)

    one of my friend is in same situation...his case was already approved as LPR,when he became citizen he email his certificate(naturalization) to nvc...
    about checking case status at nvc,i think you should call them...
  3. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Are you outside the US waiting for consular processing, or in the US preparing to file AOS (I-485)?
  4. justmarried10

    justmarried10 Registered Users (C)

    i am outside the us.....barbados consulate
  5. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Then she definitely needs to notify them with the natz certificate to upgrade the case. She got wrong advice on the phone, which is a very common problem as many of those phone staffers are incompetent.

    Your wife could have kept it simpler by waiting until after citizenship to file the I-130, but she didn't do that so now she has the task of contacting them to invoke the upgrade and following up to check that they did it.
  6. justmarried10

    justmarried10 Registered Users (C)

    thanks alot jackolantern.she'll have to do that asap...should we wait until the nvc notifies us that they have infact received our petition?do they send us notification that they have received our case?or should we go ahead & send it to nvc anyways?lastly is it realistic to assume that we will be together by the christmas holidays.

    please help me!!!!!!!

Share This Page