Update SS status or apply for a passport? What to do first

MatFoley

Hi,

Became a US citizen last week, at the ceremony I was informed I had to contact SS office and update my status from gc holder to citizen. As far as I know, they will take my original certificate of naturalization and return it with other documents.
My question to you all is, can I apply for a passport first and only when I receive the certificate back go to SS office and update my status?

Thank you,
Mat Foley
Motivational Speaker

In most cases there is greater urgency to update SSN than to get a passport. If yours is a similar case then you could do the same as anxiouscdn2

In most cases there is greater urgency to update SSN than to get a passport. If yours is a similar case then you could do the same as anxiouscdn2

Can you explain your statement, forumuser123? Here's my thinking. The moment anyone takes the oath and becomes a US citizen, they immediately become unable to leave the USA for any reason, until they get a passport. US citizens can't leave the country without a US passport, that's the rules. Now, I would presume that most people who naturalize are, like me, a working adult, and most of us probably have extended family - I'm thinking of parents in particular - back in our country of origin. What if the day after I naturalized, a parent up in Canada should have had a medical emergency, God forbid? Getting a US passport so I'd be free to travel, just in case of emergency, was my top priority, and I would think my reasoning would apply to most people.

As for updating the Social Security Administration's records to show you're now a citizen, that really doesn't make any practical difference in your life until you're getting ready to retire and collect Social Security. For most of us, that's hardly an urgent concern. Because I believe in taking care of business, I did go update SSA as soon as I got my passport. But I thought it was a no-brainer that the passport was more urgent. I'm really curious to know by what logic it could be asserted that "in most cases there is greater urgency to update SSN [sic]..."

Can you explain your statement, forumuser123? Here's my thinking. The moment anyone takes the oath and becomes a US citizen, they immediately become unable to leave the USA for any reason, until they get a passport. US citizens can't leave the country without a US passport, that's the rules. Now, I would presume that most people who naturalize are, like me, a working adult, and most of us probably have extended family - I'm thinking of parents in particular - back in our country of origin. What if the day after I naturalized, a parent up in Canada should have had a medical emergency, God forbid? Getting a US passport so I'd be free to travel, just in case of emergency, was my top priority, and I would think my reasoning would apply to most people.
What prevents you from spending several hours (or shorter) in a SSA office to update the SSN status and then apply for the passport on the same day? The SSA does not keep your naturalisation certificate - they just make copies of it and return it immediately to you. The State Department, on the other hand, keeps the certificate for the entire time while making passport.

I did a name change during the naturalisation, so right after the oath ceremony I went to the SSA and after that to the DMV. I still had enough time to apply for passport at a post office before closing time, although it was not urgent for me. This way, even if my certificate was lost in the mail, I would still have updated SS card and the driving licence to prove my employment eligibility in the country.

What prevents you from spending several hours (or shorter) in a SSA office to update the SSN status and then apply for the passport on the same day? The SSA does not keep your naturalisation certificate - they just make copies of it and return it immediately to you. The State Department, on the other hand, keeps the certificate for the entire time while making passport.

Depends on location I guess. I'm from Chicago and during the ceremony I was informed that SS office will take my certificate and return it by mail in a separate package, not with the new ss card.

To me getting a passport asap is far more important as I might have to leave US at any time, or my parents might have to leave, because we do have relatives "beyond the sea somewhere.." :D

I regret that I didn't ask one of the officers during the interview or on the ceremony day. But they all say that to update SS status you may use a certificate or a passport to prove you're American. Following that logic I just answered my own question. :cool:

I find it strange that some SSA offices keep the certificate and some do not. However, if the SSA indeed keeps the certificate, then I would apply for an expedited passport first.

Depends on location I guess. I'm from Chicago and during the ceremony I was informed that SS office will take my certificate and return it by mail in a separate package, not with the new ss card.

To me getting a passport asap is far more important as I might have to leave US at any time, or my parents might have to leave, because we do have relatives "beyond the sea somewhere.." :D

I regret that I didn't ask one of the officers during the interview or on the ceremony day. But they all say that to update SS status you may use a certificate or a passport to prove you're American. Following that logic I just answered my own question. :cool:

This is the first time I hear about the social security office taking the original naturalization certificate and then mailing it back.
In your place I'd call your local social security office and try to verify this information with them directly. The USCIS staff often give people incorrect advice and information regarding external agencies (e.g. quite a few people report being told at the oaths ceremonies that their minor children need to file N-600 and obtain a certificate of citizenship first, before applying for a U.S. passport - which is quite incorrect). So they may very well have given you incorrect info at the oath ceremony.

Either way, one can wait a couple of months, or even longer, to update SSA and DMV records. For me, for example, it doesn't matter because both entities have me down as a full legal resident, and other issues that might arise with regards to citizenship status are not important, so I will wait until I have time, and I HIGHLY doubt it will have any impact on my life.

From SSA.gov:

http://www.ssa.gov/ss5doc/chgselffor.htm

Citizenship

If you were born outside the United States and have not previously established your citizenship with us, we need to see proof of your U.S. citizenship. We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include:

U.S. consular report of birth;
U.S. passport;
Certificate of Naturalization; or
Certificate of Citizenship.

I recently updated my Citizenship status at the Fremont, CA Social Security office.

Walked in at 3:15 p.m.
Took a number, was called in about 10 mins.
Showed my Passport(alternative is Naturalization cert) and old SS card.
The person at the counter updated my status on the computer, confirmed my address, gave me a letter stating I would receive the new card within 2 weeks.[this is also a confirmation]

Returned me my passport, kept my old SS card as it had restrictions on it, and said they would be destroying it.

Walked out at about 3:40 pm

Received the new card in the mail in approx 9 days.

You won't need a new card. Mine had the "Valid only with INS Authorization" stamp, which is why I had to get the un-restricted one. Do take your SS card with you though, when you visit the SS office.

Thank you guys for your advice. Received my passport today. Will update SSA next. Why do I have to notify dmv?
I updated mine with the SSA but never did it with DMV. Can anyone clarify why it's necessary to change the status with the DMV? I registered to vote at the Oath Ceremony and I've already received my voter's registration card. What else could be the reason for status update at the DMV?

I updated mine with the SSA but never did it with DMV. Can anyone clarify why it's necessary to change the status with the DMV? I registered to vote at the Oath Ceremony and I've already received my voter's registration card. What else could be the reason for status update at the DMV?

There is no need to update citizenship status with the DMV.