Unemployment since getting GC

jnwong

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

A question that needs your help--a close friend of mine got her green card through employer sponsorship. Shortly (1< month) after it, she got laid off due to economic downturn. She wasn't able to find jobs ever since due to bad economy (3 years already). Her family from overseas sent money to support her stay in the US.

(1) Does it consistute a problem for citizenship application? This is more sensitive due to the way she got green card at the very first place--EMPLOYMENT-BASED GC. But she didn't get employed since getting green card.

(2) She has been taking some online classes ever since being laid off, can she tell this to BCIS if questioned what she's been doing since bcoming LPR while unemployed?

Please share your opinions on how to deal with future BCIS officer when questioned why no employment was found for the past 5 years.

Thanks.

IMO u don't have to worry. Just tell the truth that u were laid off and could not find a job plain and simple. They also might ask you how did u support urself again i would say the truth.

citizenship has nothing to do with ur present job. just becoz u get gc based on employment that does'nt mean u can't get laid off.

as a matter of fact one of the benefits of gc is u can get laid off and not worried getting laid off from the US.

Again pl consult a lawyer this is only my opinion and I am not a lawyer.

Her attorney told her that there is a chance that BCIS will say: given that no subsequent employment in similar occupation was found by the GC holder, it is determined that the GC that was first issued by BCIS was not appropriate and should be confistigated.

Anything she can do to help her better position herself in the citizenship interview? e.g. prepare documentation on how she can financially support herself?

Thanks.