Trying to figure out how to get back home...

DQ81

Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum and a few others while doing some research. I've posted this as often as possible as I'm desperate and really need to help out my family, even for a short sponsored visit if possible.

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but perhaps some of you could be so kind as to share your personal experiences or steer me in the right direction.

I'm a 28 year old who was born in The Netherlands to an American mother and English father. They were married at the time of my birth and so I was automatically give UK citizenship as I was on my fathers Passport the first few years of my life.

My mom is a born and raised US citizen, my Grandpa fought in WWII in the Navy,
all my family on my Mom's side is US, has been for several hundred years.

My mom only lived in the US untill she was 14 and returned when she in her early 40's in 1996. In fact we all moved to the US in 1996.

I have two older sisters who were born out of wedlock so they were automatically issued US citizenship.

When we emmigrated from The Netherlands in 1996 my father and I were awarded Green Cards based on family members. We settled in Amherst MA, where I lived untill March 2004.

In 2000/2001 I was convicted of posession of stolen property and posession of marijuana. I completed all probation and court requirements and recieved no jail time but a suspended sentence of 11 months.

In late 2003 after completing probation I decided to visit my father in the UK and childhood friend in The Netherlands.

Upon my return to Boston Airport. My Green Card was revoked on the spot based upon the aforementioned convictions and I was given a Master Calender hearing 30 days later. At said hearing I recieved a 6 month grace period to seek legal council.

I was advised to leave the country voluntarily and did in March 2004. I completed all paperwok with the Immigration Court in Boston and the DHS.

Unfortunately I learned later this was not processed properly and I was orderd deported in Absentia in April of 2004.

It's been 6 years now and as funds are very low I just don't know what to do. Nobody does Pro Bono work for these kinds of cases.

My Grandmother is '92, my Grandpa died a 3 years ago, I couldn't even go to his funeral.

My mother is seperating from her boyfriend with whome she has my little (9 year old) sister and needs my support in more ways then one.

My older sisters are both having a rough time and I'm the man of the family. Always have been.

Does anybody know if I can apply for a short term visitors visa, or sponsered visa of some kind? Ideally I'd like US citizenship, like my sisters who were born in the same country, hospital and to the same parents as I. I've made mistakes but feel I have repented and paid for them in full. I haven't been in any kind of trouble since and have learned my lesson.

Most of my relatives live in Texas and I'd love to be able to settle there for a while and be able to bring my girlfriend of 4 years with me, but that's a different story and a bridge to be crossed once my situation has been taken care of.

I've spoken to so many lawyers it makes my head spin with such different takes on the situation. This is my life and it needs to get fixed. I'm half American by blood and guts for God's sake!

One lawyers says it's hopeless, the other to deal at a local level first and vacate the convictions, the other to get a job with a US company etc. etc. and yet another to try a few visitors visa's. The big thing for me is my Grandma, at 92 she's not in the best of health and my Mom and oldest sister are having a tough time battling depression, I feel so useless and helpless. I should be there for them!

Thanks for reading, there are obviously many ways I could apply for citizenship etc. but I fall through a lot of legal cracks which compounds the frustration. I've outlined my situation as compactly as possible, if you have any tips or know of any legal representation I might contact feel free to PM me.

You have to get a waiver to enter the US. Talk to a good attorney who has experience in getting waivers w high success.

Have you actually tried entering with the visa waiver program? What happens when you do the ESTA? It's a slim chance, but I'd still try it.

Besides that, I agree with khan6000. You have to get the waiver.

And seriously, my condolences. That's a really shitty situation, and I wish you tons of luck getting where you need to get.

If you were born to US Citizen Parent you are US citizen. Explore that option and talk to a immigration lawyer

I am going to revive this thread with some corrections to the origional post so please read that if you can help. Thanks,

As too the previous posters: thank you! I never saw your responses as at the time I posted in several forums an didn't get any responses. Also I must not have ticked the notifications box as I usually do on forums. Somehow this information passed me by. At the time I got very disheartend and got on with my life here in The Netherlands. Since then I have started my own business and have two kids :)

Life is good, but I miss the US. Most importantly my family and friends who I can't visit.

As far as I know I had a 10 year ban, it's been 12 years this past April. Theoretically I should be able to visit the US now without a waiver right?

Not wanting to make ANY mistakes or risk ANY possible problems, glitches or hickups I am still looking for advice on my situation. I am still not in a position where I can afford the 5 to 10k retainer most attorney's need.

Can I hurt my situation by going online and filling out the ESTA?

How and where can I best test the waters, or find out what my standing is in the eyes of the US government as of now without a lawyer?

Look forward to hearing people's opinions and advice. Hopefull for some help.

Thanks in advance,

David