• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

Some sheep still believe what rubbish stuff he talks its pathetic and he doesnt even know what he is talking about , thanks Britsimon for actually telling us whats going on. But its scary those threats i just hope Dv-2018 is not affected even tho you say its not affected there is still that fear for us that got selected. CHeers

"Nor are diversity immigrants less skilled than other immigrants. According to a 2011 report from the Congressional Research Service, a higher percentage of immigrants who entered the United States through the diversity visa program had managerial and professional occupations than green card holders overall.

Specifically, 24% of diversity immigrants reported managerial and professional occupations in 2009, compared with 10% among all green card holders that year. Diversity immigrants also had a lower unemployment rate (3%) than all green card holders (8 percent) that year.

More recent data from the Department of Homeland Security’s 2015 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics show that 32% of those who came through the diversity visa program in fiscal year 2015 were employed in management, professional, and related occupations. Another 36% were students or children.

That’s far higher than the percentage of immigrants in those occupations who came via family-sponsored green card categories (12%) or among those who were granted green cards because they were immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (9%). That year, 497 of the 47,934 diversity immigrants were listed as unemployed, or about 1%.

That’s far lower than the percentage of unemployed people among all green card recipients (5.1%) that year.

It is fine to debate the merits of a diversity visa program. Perhaps a lottery isn’t the best way to select immigrants. But President Trump shouldn’t falsely claim that the program is riddled with fraud and losers as a way to justify ending it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/trump-dishonest-diversity-visa-lottery-attack-article-1.3707384

Same is layed in this CNN article: http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/03/politics/daca-talks-congress-trump-meeting/index.html

"Over the holidays, though, Trump demanded that any deal must include his border wall, cuts to family-based migration, ending the diversity lottery, "etc.," he added. On Tuesday, he claimed Democrats were "doing nothing" to save the program that he is terminating and insisted that DACA advocates would come to favor Republicans.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has pledged to hold a vote on an immigration deal if one is reached before January 31."

What would be the impact of a vote before or on January 31 on DV2018?

Same is layed in this CNN article: http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/03/politics/daca-talks-congress-trump-meeting/index.html

"Over the holidays, though, Trump demanded that any deal must include his border wall, cuts to family-based migration, ending the diversity lottery, "etc.," he added. On Tuesday, he claimed Democrats were "doing nothing" to save the program that he is terminating and insisted that DACA advocates would come to favor Republicans.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has pledged to hold a vote on an immigration deal if one is reached before January 31."

That question has been answered numerous times in this thread.

2018 is safe.

2018 is safe.

I think the only one at risk right now is DV2019 and we cant be sure yet. No doubt that there is a high chance that DV will be ending soon, specially with the situation that they have with DACA at this moment. Killing one program in order to save the other. Time will tell.

I think the only one at risk right now is DV2019 and we cant be sure yet. No doubt that there is a high chance that DV will be ending soon, specially with the situation that they have with DACA at this moment. Killing one program in order to save the other. Time will tell.

Well I'm not a selectee but I have registered for 2019 and as always I am hopeful that I might get selected and get GC but yes as u said time will tell. I pray God that DV never ends

God damn he is wanting to end DV-Lottery and he said more democrats think the same thing
What do you think will happen on Dv-2018 its scary as hell even tho we talked about this a thousand times

God damn he is wanting to end DV-Lottery and he said more democrats think the same thing
What do you think will happen on Dv-2018 its scary as hell even tho we talked about this a thousand times

Hi @Ireeln ,

The winners of DV-2018 are safe in terms of this proposal to end the Diversity Visa Lottery. The only ones at risk right now are the ones waiting for results of DV-2019 and the program itself for future rounds. I have no doubts that this program will be ending pretty soon but only time will tell and we have to wait and see, since Trump will need votes from both parties for this to happen.

Hi @Ireeln ,

The winners of DV-2018 are safe in terms of this proposal to end the Diversity Visa Lottery. The only ones at risk right now are the ones waiting for results of DV-2019 and the program itself for future rounds. I have no doubts that this program will be ending pretty soon but only time will tell and we have to wait and see, since Trump will need votes from both parties for this to happen.

Hello Mate , we'll its scary but i dont think democrats will agree on the Vote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAISE_Act read this one there is quite a lot of opposition ofc im no expert but hopefully we are safe im a Dv-2018 selectee and hopefully im going there and it will all workout well for all of us :D

Hello Mate , we'll its scary but i dont think democrats will agree on the Vote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAISE_Act read this one there is quite a lot of opposition ofc im no expert but hopefully we are safe im a Dv-2018 selectee and hopefully im going there and it will all workout well for all of us :D

You should feel very lucky of been selected and I hope all goes well during your interview. I think that both parties will come up with a new proposal that will protect people that is currently under DACA in exchange to eliminate the DV Lottery and Chain migration. These are only my assumptions and we have to wait and see the real outcome of this.

We are about to find out the answer to this and other related questions concerning the future of the DV program rather soon now. One amongst several alternatives being discussed as we speak is to rededicate 50K DV visas to folks losing TPS status during Q4 2018 and throughout 2019, which would suggest that DV-2018 will be completed.