• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

But if the Democrats clearly state in their bill here (? no bill number given), that "indicates that Democrats have agreed to completely dismantle the diversity visa lottery, a program Trump has spent time publicly criticizing in recent months." then this will be irrelevant if the Republicans are moving forward on another bill where they will surely make that same demand?

I don't quite get this. But then again, I'd be happy if the DV lottery will in fact stay intact, hoping selection will take place in May and any termination order would not affect DV 2019.

But if the Democrats clearly state in their bill here (? no bill number given), that "indicates that Democrats have agreed to completely dismantle the diversity visa lottery, a program Trump has spent time publicly criticizing in recent months." then this will be irrelevant if the Republicans are moving forward on another bill where they will surely make that same demand?

I don't quite get this. But then again, I'd be happy if the DV lottery will in fact stay intact, hoping selection will take place in May and any termination order would not affect DV 2019.

No one is fighting for DV. Everyone wants other things. I think it is almost certain the DV program will end very soon although all bills suggested will allow DV2018 to complete as planned.

No one is fighting for DV. Everyone wants other things. I think it is almost certain the DV program will end very soon although all bills suggested will allow DV2018 to complete as planned.

Unless (in a very unlikely scenario) they'll keep the ball rolling all through the Election Day. Hey, we're only 7 stop-gap funding bills away from FY19!

That's what it sounds like. I have no real hope for DV2019 then. What a shame, so many millions of people's hopes added to a database already.

That's what it sounds like. I have no real hope for DV2019 then. What a shame, so many millions of people's hopes added to a database already.

I already think that this could be my last chance to win the lottery and the probability of winning is really low. Lets wait and see what happens, but i think this will be the last round for DV.

Hello everyone for the first time:)Do you think that government shutdown will affect the DV2018 interwiev process for already scheduled interwievs in February?I have read the the embassies staff are part of essential govenment staff and they should continue their activities...Thank for confirming this if you have more informations on this matter.
ps.sorry for the pic this is connected to my FB profile;-)

Hello everyone for the first time:)Do you think that government shutdown will affect the DV2018 interwiev process for already scheduled interwievs in February?I have read the the embassies staff are part of essential govenment staff and they should continue their activities...Thank for confirming this if you have more informations on this matter.

It seems unlikely--->

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/government-shutdown-impact-immigration-processes

Visa processing at US embassies is expected to continue since this is a fee based service (other embassy operations are However, a prolonged government shutdown may subsequently impact it if the embassies need to scale down, visa processing could then be suspended and services provided by the embassies limited to emergency services to USC only.

Those processing AOS on the other hand are shielded from this because USCIS is fully a fee-based agency. Its funding is not dependent on annual appropriations from Congress (unlike the embassies though). AOS processing will continue as normal in the face of a prolonged government shutdown.

Well....nothing new really.

1.) " Their DACA status will start expiring in March."

(2.- DV2019 entrants can check if they were selected as of 15 May 2018.)

3.) "Most Democrats seem willing to terminate the program in exchange for DREAMer protections, but how is still in dispute. Some Senate Republicans propose shifting the 50,000 visas to other immigration programs, while many House Republicans want to eliminate them entirely."

4.) March comes before May, so....that doesn't look good for any of us hoping to get selected in the upcoming diversity visa lottery 2019.

Then again, who knows what will happen. What annoys me the most is that the Trump administration is 'good' at terminating, canceling, limiting things...but not very good at replacing anything with something good at the same time!

For example, I would be willing to immigrate to the US on the basis of setting up a small business but I know for a fact that there are hundreds of thousands of E-2 visa holders and their families who obviously came to the US *legally*, set up obviously successful businesses - but their visa has *no pathway* to a green card! So their foreign born children they brought along, have to LEAVE the US at age 21 even though they may have also spent most of their lives in America, just like many 'dreamers', unless they find their own way to secure a legal permanent resident status (i.e. marriage).
So there are many very successful business people that have invested, expanded and even employ many people....yet their future also hangs in the balance, because this visa only ever gets extended, but never transferred into a green card!
There have been initiatives by E-2 Visa holders to push for changes - they want E-2 visa holders and their children to be a part of the 'dreamers' bill!

Nice overview, thx euro.

What annoys me the most is that the Trump administration is 'good' at terminating, canceling, limiting things...but not very good at replacing anything with something good at the same time!

!

Well, one thing there is bipartisan agreement on and said publicly by both sides, is that Trump can’t seem to decide what he wants. I think one commentator hit the nail on the head by observing Trump can’t seem to figure out whether he wants to make policy for the American people or to keep his base happy.

I heard that Trump wants full funding of wall for DACA. DV lottery and chain migration off the table?

I heard that Trump wants full funding of wall for DACA. DV lottery and chain migration off the table?

Trying to figure out what Trump wants is not only useless as he doesn’t even seem to know, but a waste of time seeing as the US is a democracy not a dictatorship, and the senate and House need to agree on laws.
As has been said many times before here, DV has no champions. I would be very surprised if it survives.

DV Lottery and Chain migration will be part of a negotiation and I doubt that DV Lottery will survive. I´m already thinking that this will be my last chance on this program and hoping that luck is on my side this time.

I might sound stupid but my heart says that DV lottery is going to survive or at least 2019 will survive. I don't know why but I can feel that I have a green card written in my destiny.

I might sound stupid but my heart says that DV lottery is going to survive or at least 2019 will survive. I don't know why but I can feel that I have a green card written in my destiny.

I also think that DV 2019 will survive hopefully, but we have to wait and see. I hope you get selected in this round specially on this one, that could possibly be our last shot on this program.

Many politicians from all positions of power attacked the current immigration system in the US for a number of reasons.

First because the current one is old and doesn't really face the present needs and second because, in situations like the one that happened some weeks ago, some of those entering US with a GC are devolving into criminals and/or terrorists.

The current DV system was in talks to be terminated since the first Obama mandate or even earlier but no piece of immigration reform was good enough to create an agreement and a majority for the law to pass.

This year nevertheless pressure built up not only because of the situation created by the latests attacks but also by the EO signed by Trump that puts in danger DACA immigrants for example.

This is why I believe that the actual DV program will suffer a change in the next 12 months either to a termination or a change in the program requirements. I believe that a direct termination might hurt the diversity of the immigrants reaching US so possibly a change in the program requirements might sound better.

In any case I strongly believe that either DV2018 or DV2019 will not be affected by this change.

First about DV2018 because is already in process on interviews stage and second for DV2019 as I don't believe such a piece of law will be agreed and voted until later in the 2nd half of this year so DV2019 will enter the same stage as DV2018 long before the law will be approved.

But lets wait and see.

Best of luck to all pursuers of DV2018 and DV2019 programs