• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Traveling to US after receiving the GC

Farma

Registered Users (C)
Hello !

My husband and I winned the GCs in DV2014. After the interview approval, we travelled 2 weeks in Hawaii to activate the GC (it took us only 10 min - no waiting time!), and luckily, only 3 weeks after the GCs were sent to a friend's address in US. We are currently living outside from the US and we have our passport stamped with visa valid for 1 year.
So here is my question. At the airport, the immigration officer told us that once the GC are mailed, the stamp in the passport is no longer valid and can not be used to travel. I must say I was quite surprise by this, because this is not what I previously understood about the process.
The reason I am asking is because I am not sure my "friend" will take time and money to send us the GC and I would like to avoid asking her that. What do you think ? I suppose Immigration Officers from Hawaii are not aware about DV process are they ? (Only because I suppose not many people activate their GCs at this port of entry!)

Can I have your feedback ? Can we travel to Us only with the stamps ?

Yes, the stamp (or immigrant visa that was endorsed on entry) is an I-551 document just like the plastic card. It can be used just like the plastic green card in every way, as long as it is valid. The immigrant visa is not valid anymore as it is a single-entry visa. But it is not the immigrant visa you are using, but rather the I-551 which the immigrant visa turned into once it was endorsed upon entry.