Travel right after naturalization interview

Bramsd

Hi, looking for some advice regarding my naturalization!

In brief:

My naturalization interview is morning August 1st, 2016. Then August 2nd I already have booked a plane ticket to Europe for a week. It is a medium-important trip for a family reunion. Can I work it out to be able to go?

In long:

Today, I learned my interview is August 1st. I had booked the plane ticket many months in advance and I did not expect the interview to come at this exact date. I don't know if my field office (Reno, Nevada) is doing the same day ceremonies or not, but even if they do I would not be able to get US passport in 24 hours right?

If they don't do the same day oath ceremony maybe I can still travel on my US green card for that trip right after the interview?

Anyways, is there a way to find out if my field office is doing same day ceremonies or what date(s) are the actual ceremonies?

Another option I was thinking about was to reschedule the interview for an earlier or later date, but I wonder how cumbersome is that going to be.

Last option is to entirely cancel my trip if none of these are viable options. I hate the US government is so unpredictable, anyone has any insight, idea?

If you do the oath on aug 1st, the green card will be taken.
Make an appointement to a passport FIELD office where you will able get your passport within hours, otherwise reschedule your flight for 1 ou 2 days.

Sorry I was going fast. Yes you ll be able to travel on Aug 2nd.
I was actually thinking...after the oath assuming you already got approved.
keep in mind the number of days outside usa after your travel.
There have been cases where people got in trouble after travelling after the interview because of that.

Thank you guys for your replies.

So I can travel on August 2nd, but what-if the office does the same day oaths? I read that in most cases they don't do the same day oaths, anyways, I wonder how can I find out when the actual ceremony is going to be if I am approved.

My trip is going to last 9 days. What-if I am scheduled for a ceremony, say, 4 days after my interview?

You can look at the following website to get a sense of how frequently they do same day oaths:

http://www.trackitt.com/usa-immigration-trackers/n400

If you do a search on USCIS District Office for Reno, you will see the cases listed for Reno. Unfortunately there aren't a lot listed for Reno, and the last one was 2 years ago, but it does show a lengthy delay between the interview date and the oath date--which is good in your situation. Typically some offices do same day oaths and others don't--from a quick search it looks like the offices in New Jersey, as an example, like to do same day oaths. Of course given the limited data for Reno, the specific delays for the Reno cases could have been due to specific issues with people's individual cases. But the data such as there is does support the idea that the oath probably won't be the same day as the interview.

Also when I did my own interview, the oath wasn't the same day as my interview, but they did schedule the oath at my interview--and they asked me whether I could attend an oath on the proposed day. Presumably this would have presented an opportunity to request a different day had the timing not worked for me. If they don't schedule your oath at the interview--but instead do it by mail later--it is likely that you will be comfortably back from Europe by the time of your oath.

Last edited:
Dont worry, you ll have at least two weeks between approval and the schedule of the oath ceremony.
Usually, if approved they tell you, you ll receive a letter in 10 to 14 days or even more...
You have time to fly and come back.
Enjoy..your last trip as permanent resident.

Thank you guys! So you think everything is going to be okay if I take the trip?

I would not like to risk anything, but it looks like it is not a big deal. I saw the Oath letter actually has a question "Did you travel .... ? YES/NO" so I guess I have to check "YES" and hope it won't trigger any problems.

Should not cause an issue. I traveled between interview and oath. I answered "YES" to that question. It was a 5 day trip to Canada.

I saw the Oath letter actually has a question "Did you travel .... ? YES/NO" so I guess I have to check "YES" and hope it won't trigger any problems.