Travel outside US with receipt of I-90

Don Luca

It happened that I lost my Green Card somewhere, and I have filed the I-90, an application to replace PR Card. Last week I went to uscis office for photo and finger printing. The officer there was telling me that it could take up to one year to issue the replacement. On the other hand, I have to travel outside the US next week.
My question is, can I use the receipt from USCIS and a copy of my old GC as a proof that I am a legal PR to enter US? or I can't travel anywhere until my GC replacement is issued? or ? anybody had had experience the similar thing?
please share.

No airline will allow you to board a flight to US with just a copy of old green card or the receipt from USCIS. For travel, get your passport stamped with "temporary evidence of permanent residence" at a USCIS office.

Thank you for shedding the light, but how long does it take to do that? do I need an appointment with uscis office? or just walk through? what should I carry with me? the receipt and passport only?

Thank you for shedding the light, but how long does it take to do that? do I need an appointment with uscis office? or just walk through? what should I carry with me? the receipt and passport only?
Passport and receipt. Normally you need an appointment via Infopass, but because you have urgent travel you can do a walk-in and explain the situation and they should accommodate you. They will give you an I-551 stamp in your passport which you can use to work and travel. You could have gotten it when you went for fingerprinting.

No airline will allow you to board a flight to US with just a copy of old green card or the receipt from USCIS. For travel, get your passport stamped with "temporary evidence of permanent residence" at a USCIS office.

Set aside the airlines in other country wouldn't allow me to travel.
Does the IO in the US will accept the receipt from USCIS altogether with copy of the CG and let me back in?

Set aside the airlines in other country wouldn't allow me to travel.
Do you know that as a fact, or are you just worrying that they won't accept the I-551 stamp?
Does the IO in the US will accept the receipt from USCIS altogether with copy of the CG and let me back in?
Normally they won't let you in with that. But they are supposed to let you in if you have the I-551 stamp in your passport.