1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel outside US with receipt of I-90

Discussion in 'Life After The Green Card' started by Don Luca, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. Don Luca

    Don Luca New Member

    It happened that I lost my Green Card somewhere, and I have filed the I-90, an application to replace PR Card. Last week I went to uscis office for photo and finger printing. The officer there was telling me that it could take up to one year to issue the replacement. On the other hand, I have to travel outside the US next week.
    My question is, can I use the receipt from USCIS and a copy of my old GC as a proof that I am a legal PR to enter US? or I can't travel anywhere until my GC replacement is issued? or ? anybody had had experience the similar thing?
    please share.
  2. nkm-oct23

    nkm-oct23 Registered Users (C)

    No airline will allow you to board a flight to US with just a copy of old green card or the receipt from USCIS. For travel, get your passport stamped with "temporary evidence of permanent residence" at a USCIS office.
  3. Don Luca

    Don Luca New Member

    Thank you for shedding the light, but how long does it take to do that? do I need an appointment with uscis office? or just walk through? what should I carry with me? the receipt and passport only?
  4. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    It depends on his citizenship.
  5. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Passport and receipt. Normally you need an appointment via Infopass, but because you have urgent travel you can do a walk-in and explain the situation and they should accommodate you. They will give you an I-551 stamp in your passport which you can use to work and travel. You could have gotten it when you went for fingerprinting.
  6. Don Luca

    Don Luca New Member

    Set aside the airlines in other country wouldn't allow me to travel.
    Does the IO in the US will accept the receipt from USCIS altogether with copy of the CG and let me back in?
  7. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Do you know that as a fact, or are you just worrying that they won't accept the I-551 stamp?
    Normally they won't let you in with that. But they are supposed to let you in if you have the I-551 stamp in your passport.

Share This Page