1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel out of US while J1 waiver in process and return on H1 after waiver approval.

Discussion in 'J-1 Home Residency Requirement' started by deepben, Jul 14, 2013.

  1. deepben

    deepben New Member

    I am currently on a J1 visa for my Medical Residency program and my J1 waiver is in progress to start my J1 waiver job. Since the Department of State decision on the waiver is still pending and my J1 is valid only till end of August'13, I was planning to go to India and come back when the waiver & H1 visa has been approved.

    I would like to know if there would be any complications in the waiver approval or when going for the H1 visa stamp since I would be out of the US. Or is it advised not to travel while the waiver processing is going on.

    Thanks in advance.
    DB
     
  2. simranj1

    simranj1 New Member

    I am in the same situation as yours, my lawyer thinks that it would not be a big issue. But I am nervous to go back, how long has been your waiver in process, MIne is already ~ 8 weeks.
     
  3. deepben

    deepben New Member

    Hi simranj1

    Sorry, I saw ur post late. DoS has sent a favourable recommendation on the 24th of July. So awaiting uscis approval. My waiver has been in process since 8 weeks too.
     
  4. simranj1

    simranj1 New Member

    DoS has sent a favourable recommendation on the 1st August, Thanks deepben
     
  5. 110012

    110012 New Member

    Hi guys, so I'm in the same situation. Did any of you travel during the waiver process/after the waiver is granted?? Did you able to make it back to the US?
     
  6. Stepmaru

    Stepmaru New Member

    HI guys, I am also wondering if I should travel while waiting for the NOS. My current visa expires may 2016 and but my ds2019 is valid until Dec 2016. I would like to go home now to renew my visa in order to be able to travel in September to Europe. I am not sure if getting a new visa would hurt my case OR if traveling before or after the waiver is issued would cause me a problem. Any thoughts? I am very worried at this point. HELP! What should I do?
     

Share This Page