Travel Document

siyyid

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everybody

I want to share some experience rgarding obtaining a Travel Document.

My wife applied for a TD this week. We had been told that it would normally take about four weeks and would be of a short validity. We were pleasently surprised when it was issued the same day after a brief interview by visa officer and is valid for 12 months.

Can you please give more details about your exp.
Is this the same doc reqired to enter canada if spouse of a ca PR has no PR status in canada ? Are u a ca PR ? wat is your wife status ?

thanks

Hi truenblue

No it is not for such purposes. Myself and my wife are both PR. We came back to USA after landing. I and our son got the PR cards but my wife was asked to come back to cic office as her photo was considered not as per specifications. Since our landing papers were marked NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL she needed a TD to reenter Canada if she wanted to travel by a commercial transport. Actually it is a single entry visa affixed in your passport and under the "Category" they write Permanent Resident. From December 31 2003 any PR who does not hold a PR Card will need a TD as a proof of his/her status and for reentring Canada. You can find all the details on CIC website

siyyid -

can you please tell us at which consulate office did your wife apply for a TD? what were the questions asked in the interview? this is the visa which costs CAD $50.00 right? please share your experience with more details, thanks.

Hi cnataro2

She applied at Canadian Embassy in Washington DC.

Yes it costs $50/- Canadian

It was not much of an interview. They want to know why you did not recieve the PR Card, and they determine your residency status by 2/5 years rule which is the most important thing.

where you expected to prove that you had to come back to US and not wait in canada before you got your PR card? do they expect some sort of letter or document proof that you had to leave out of canada?

Interview must for Travel Doc?

Hi siyyid -

Is interview must for getting Travel Doc?
Me alnowith my wife and son landed in Sept 2001 and within 2 weeks moved to USA
I applied for PR card 2 weeks back but won't be able to move back to Canada before Dec 31,2003 but probably will be by April 2004
I am worried about the interview part.I am staying in Chicago.
Where I should apply for TD so that even I been called for interview won't need to travel much
Appreciate your help
Thanks

Hi ani70

Yes I think an interview with a visa officer is necessary. Just tell them the exact facts.

You landed in September 2001 , as per 2/5 years rule , in my opinion you would be ok in April 2004

You can apply in Chicago cosulate.

The Consulate General of Canada
Two Prudential Plaza
180 North Stetson Avenue, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL
60601, USA

Tel: (312) 616-1860, Fax: (312) 616-1878
e-mail: chcgo-td@dfait-maeci.gc.ca

Hi siyyid

Have your wife retaken her photo? If not, I wondered if you can kindly help me to ask the following questions when your wife go to the office since I am the same situation.

1. Because I don't receive the appointment notice for retaking photo until now, I wonder if I can retake my photo at anytime before or after the scheduled date.

2. Could you pls to confirm if we can use Landing Paper stamped by "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" to reenter Canada from road by own car after Dec.31, 2003 ?

BTW, where will your wife retake the photo?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi x1088

She has not yet gone to Canada. She will definitely ask these questions when she gets there. She will be going to st. Clair street Toronto office.
My personal opinion is that it would not be possible to use Not valid for Travel documents after 31st dec

hi
my friend is landing in month of march and she want to go to india immediately with in one week of landing. as per new rrule she need travel document. what is your suggestion

can she aplly for TD in india if yes how long it would take

Thanks
usha

ushakale -

is she landing for the first time? if so, she would have a visa stamping in her passport right?

if she is not landing for the first time and shre is already a landed PR but does not have her PR card yet, then yes - she needs a travel document.

she can apply for a TD at the canadian consulate in delhi. she should not have much trouble in getting one. hope this info helps.

thank you fro the reply

But how long it will take to get the td as she is going for only 45 days and she has applytd in india.

but the problem is about the tickets she need to have confirmed date for the return trip

any help on this
thanks
usha

i guess, if all documents are produced as per the TD application, she should get it the same day at the delhi consulate. she has to appear in person, i think. check with others in the forum as well or by calling the canadian consulate in delhi.

Hi siyyid

Sorry to bother you again. Do you know if I should make an appointment in advance for the travel visa interview? Did the officer ask your wife to show the notice for retaking photo?

Thanks.

Hi x1088

No appointment is required.

She did show them the call letter. I am not sure whether they specifically asked for it or not.
I believe as a Canadian PR you have a right to return to Canada as long you have maintained your status, you do not need a reason for going back. You are not applying for a visitor visa.

No PR Card. Is Travel Document required?

I have landed in August 2001. I live in the US. Therefore, I do not need to spply for PR card in order to enter Canada after December 31, 2003. This is because I could just drive my car into Canada.

Without a PR card, do you think I need a travel document to enter Canada by car in August next year?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
No PR Card travel after dec 31st

i am in a similar situation .can i return in my own car showing my IMM 1000 doc after dec 31 and before my 3/5 period ends
thanks