travel between citizenship and oath - Chicago

moo

The archives tell me that there's been a brief discussion on the topic of traveling outside the US between citizenship interview & oath-taking, but I would like more specific info/advice from you gurus out there, esp. those who have gone through the citizenship process in Chicago. My interview date is at the end of September 2004. I have to travel out of the US on work 4 days after my interview. I'll be out of the country for 2 weeks. The previous discussion about this informs me that I will still have my green card and that it is given up only during the oath, so traveling itself should not be a problem, which is a relief. But would it pose a problem in terms of the timeline in Chicago between interview and oath? The citizenship office told me that generally the oath is about a month after the interview. Has that been most people's experience in Chicago? Is there a chance that I'd have to take the oath within 2-3 weeks, and thereby miss it by being out of the US?
I had initially thought of taking the oath on the day of the interview if given the option, but now I don't want to because it would seriously impede these travel plans that just came up today. My work-related trip is actually back to my home country. Even if I did manage to get a US passport within 2 days (which I understand is possible), I'd never be able to get a visa in that passport on time. So I'll stick to not taking the oath until later (though I really do not want to go through a ceremony)!

Thanks, all.

Travel between interview and oath is not as such objectionable at all, but at the oath one has to simply declare the dates of travel on a piece of paper. One may be asked the reason for such travel , again not a problem!
The oath letter says if you cannot make it to the ceremony, you must let them know at earliest ( i suppose that is to plan out the oath ceremony).
But generally I would advise one NOT to miss the oath ceremony unlless under extreme circumstances. You may plan to return early in case the oath date is intimated to you while you are away.

Radni said:
Travel between interview and oath is not as such objectionable at all, but at the oath one has to simply declare the dates of travel on a piece of paper. One may be asked the reason for such travel , again not a problem!
The oath letter says if you cannot make it to the ceremony, you must let them know at earliest ( i suppose that is to plan out the oath ceremony).
But generally I would advise one NOT to miss the oath ceremony unlless under extreme circumstances. You may plan to return early in case the oath date is intimated to you while you are away.

Pls ask this question to dsfgh100. On immigration topics dsfgh100 is expert.

Joe.F said:
Pls ask this question to dsfgh100. On immigration topics dsfgh100 is expert.
I have dsfgh100 on my ignore list as suggested by someone ( may be by Rahul!) Please stay on the board , JoeF !! Or is it you JoeF as Joe.F ? Or someone else?

Radni my dear friend. I see you are being very thankful for all the advice I gave you. This is a thankless job, but I gotta do it because my experience and knowledge is helping so many. My "thank you" notes folder is filled with notes.

Thanks all......

----------------------------
Vote Bush '04

dsfgh100 is not equal to dsfgh101

The extra "1" over "100" is the difference between knowledge and some fool's alias. For people who do not know.... dsfgh100 is the expert. dsfgh101 is JoeF's gang's immitation aimed at discrediting dsfgh100.

Live free, live happy.

--------------
Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right.
--Mahatma Gandhi

It is best to have dsgfh100 on your ignore list....he is doling out nothin but misinformation, which is quiet dangerous when it comes to immigration issues.
'Joe.F' is another one of those false aliases created by dsgfh100 and he uses these to praise himself (what a pathetic attempt to try to misuse the names of established members :rolleyes:). Everyone has already realized that he is completely incompetent when it comes to immigration laws and is here for one reason only...politics!

Cheers!

Radni said:
I have dsfgh100 on my ignore list as suggested by someone ( may be by Rahul!) Please stay on the board , JoeF !! Or is it you JoeF as Joe.F ? Or someone else?

JoeF and his gang of minions (Rahul, Hopeless, johnedwards and others) are bent on disturbing normal flow of information. They are afraid of my knowedge and experience in answering these questions. Makes me feel good to know that I must be doing some thing right because of these idiots who gang up against me.

Vote Bush '04

phillydude said:
Need to be more specific :D. There are indentity theives in here...

Slightly correct phillydude. JoeF and his gang who immitate my user name are close to being identity thiefs.

Vote Bush '04

dsfgh100, it's quite evident from your useless postings that you are a menace to society. Some people gave you the benefit of doubt for a while, but I see that it is in your nature to act like a lost fart, drifting uninvited from post to post, contaminating everything with your filth. You need a good old fashioned beating. I'm sure if people knew who you were, there would be no need to ban you. Thats the only language people like you understand.

You desperately seek attention because you live a deprived existence trying to force people to converse with you through your filthy postings - I pity you!
You have insulted almost everyone in one way or the other in this forum. You have created aliases like a weasel, and insulted people through them. You should and will be banned sooner or later. Not only do you owe JoeF an apology, but everyone on this board.

dimmsimm. If I need to hear your words, I will rattle the cage you live inside and ask you to speak. Got that?

Vote Bush '04

It looks like somebody has rattled your cage several times already. Had too many bananas thrown at your face?