Travel after Citizenship Interview

kacy2013

Registered Users (C)
My job has purchased a ticket for me to travel internationally with a group June 26 for a week. I am concerned because my interview is scheduled for June 4. I am now wondering:
1. Can I travel with my Green Card after the interview but before the Oath Ceremony or do they keep it at the interview?
2. In this situation, is it possible to request an early Oath Ceremony at my interview so I could expedite a passport? Just wondering if it is worth discussing with the officer at the interview.
3. Does anyone know where I could find the Oath Ceremony dates for Washington DC/Alexandria VA?

Any input and/or suggestions are welcomed. I am really wondering how this will pan out because my job has spent over $2000 and they will not be very happy with this. I never thought I would have any conflict like this as I was trying to be as strategic as possible with my travels.

Thanks in advance for your help!

They don't take your green card, so you can travel. If your application contains little international travel, then they won't care about an extra week. But if your application was borderline to begin with, and especially if you had a trip over 180 days or you are almost at the lower limit for required physical presence, then it would be a concern. They do ask you at the oath ceremony whether you have traveled since the interview.

@Harry Callahan....Thanks for the response. I think I will be fine then. I really haven't traveled much, just once a year trips to visit family and the trips were one to two weeks each time since I became a Permanent Resident. It appears my Oath Ceremony date wouldn't be before my trip based on what I've seen previously on others' timelines. So if I could use my Green Card after my interview while I wait for the Oath Ceremony that's great. Do you know where I could find the schedule for Oath Ceremonies for my area (Washington DC/Alexandria VA)?

My job has purchased a ticket for me to travel internationally with a group June 26 for a week. I am concerned because my interview is scheduled for June 4. I am now wondering:
1. Can I travel with my Green Card after the interview but before the Oath Ceremony or do they keep it at the interview?
2. In this situation, is it possible to request an early Oath Ceremony at my interview so I could expedite a passport? Just wondering if it is worth discussing with the officer at the interview.
3. Does anyone know where I could find the Oath Ceremony dates for Washington DC/Alexandria VA?

Any input and/or suggestions are welcomed. I am really wondering how this will pan out because my job has spent over $2000 and they will not be very happy with this. I never thought I would have any conflict like this as I was trying to be as strategic as possible with my travels.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kacy,

What a coincidence, but I also have business travel the Saturday after my Interview. I consulted my Immigration lawyer and this was their response. I think you're fine you just need to make them aware of your travel plans and dates.

My Immigration Lawyers Response:

Based on other recent Naturalization applications that I have filed, the oath ceremony is typically scheduled 2 to 6 weeks after the interview appointment, and is usually not held the same day of the interview. At your interview, you could mention that you have upcoming travel, and it may be possible for them to put a note in their system to schedule the oath after you return from Germany. If the oath is scheduled for the time that you are away, it is possible to request that it be rescheduled. In the request, we would mention that you are traveling internationally, and provide your availability when you return. I have successfully done this for other applicants, without any problems. The new oath appointment date usually occurs within a month of the original.

Some free legal advice for you, how about that.

Pierre,

Sorry for the delayed response,... I was out of town . This is helpful Pierre!! Thanks a lot!! Our interviews are coming up pretty soon. I need to buckle down and learn those facts :) and get my documents together. I'm moving so I'm very disorganized.

You can also request to have your oath ceremony moved back to accommodate travel. Talk to your interviewer. Also, even if the oath letter comes early, you can send it back requesting it to be postponed, though this could delay it longer than you hope for.

If same-day oath is offered, then you can go to a passport agency and apply for a same-day or next-day passport (if it's convenient) when you have impending travel. Just don't forget about potential visa requirements.

Cafeconleche...I spoke with the officer when I went for my interview yesterday. She said it would be about 2-3 months before my Oath Ceremony and it is fine for me to use my current passport and GC to travel internationally so I think I'm good. I didn't realize they offered same day or next day passports. I always saw two weeks for expedited.