Transfer from J1 visa to H1 B

vamsi23

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am working as Post-doctoral research associate at Washington State University. I came here with J1 VISA and would like to apply for wavier. My Professor kindly agreed to sponsor my case through the university. However, to be on safe side I would like to apply for wavier and keep the certificate handy for future. I have few doubts and request you to kindly clarify regarding the following:

1. The first stage seems to be very simple. During this stage, do I need to send any documents such as copies of my degrees, etc. along with the application? And, Do I have to send my Passport along with the forms? if so, do they return my passport along with the attested forms? How much time it will take to complete the Stage I? Also, how to fill the columns which are not applicable for me.

2. In Stage II, we will get signed/attested forms (with signature and seal of Indian Consular) from the consulate. Then I have to send 2 copies to three different offices in India. Here I need some clarification. (a) Do I need to write a separate covering letter along with the forms? (b) To whom I have to address to send the form to Regional Passport Office? Can I address to "Regional Passport Officer"? (c) Similarly, to whom I should address for "The Department of Education' and which section/division? (d) Finally, to which office I should send the forms in "Department of Home" of my Sate (Andhra Pradesh)? Do I need to write anything specifically on the cover to ensure it will reach correct officer?

3. Finally, at present the maximum period for J1 stay has been extended to 5 years. But I am applying for wavier after 2 years of my stay in US. Do I need to mention specific reasons why I am applying for wavier before 5 years?

I will be grateful if any one could kinldy clarify me regarding the above.
Looking forward for your favorable reply,
Thanking you and with very kind regards,
Vamsi