***Transcript of June 3 Hearing and Further Proceedings ***

giving them the benefit of doubt...

i read that document again and they define the backlog as:

Backlog = (Current Month Pending/Average Last 12
Months’ Completions) – Processing time targets

if, i understand correctly, it is something like:

current backlog = (jun 2004 (minus) jan 2002) - 6 months
= 29 months - 6 months = 23 months
{since most service centers process around jan 2002 and the projected goal is 6 months}

please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

this is definitely NOT what I want to hear anyways.

btw, they may get to their goal by 2006. but, what is their answer to the current sufferings??? i mean many families may not get to adjudicate or lose their eligibility because of this delay. what is their answer to that? Rajiv can you please ask them about all this in the discussion. Thanks. GOD BLESS!!!

EDIT - if they define backlog this way, then i guess the target should be '0' month backlog and not 6 months, isn't it???

hidden_dragon said:
They sort of have a plan now:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/repsstudies/backlog.htm

check out the link to the 6/16 update. According to it, the cycle time (avg waiting time) in March 2004 is 23 month (which is a big lie). The projected cycle time is 20 month by oct 2004; 15 month by 2005. This requires finish all cases filed in 2002 by october. I don't see how they can do it.
So a plan is important. But what make you think they will follow the plan? unless there is consequence of failure...

Last edited by a moderator:
dsatish said:
The trick is "how are they calculating this average wait time ?" . I hope that they are not trying to fool the congress with tricky statistics.

Yup, lot of tricks they can play. The key word is "average". They can use non-FIFO compliant pilot programs and new procedures such as the Ohata memo to adjudicate a lot of new cases. So when you take the average of our old cases and these new cases (some could be adjudicated in as little as 3 months), the average waiting time surely WILL decrease. The waiting time chart will be having 2 bell shapes. Since they are incapable of reducing the backlog bell shape quickly, they can just boost the new case bell shape, and the average will shift towards zero. It's like magic. Look ma, no hands!

I can only hope that this is not the way they are reducing the average waiting time now. We should probably ask for the waiting time statistics on a monthly scale. This should tell us what's really going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends,

If they lie with data we can catch them. How? We should ask them to give moving range plot. This will tell us what was there average every month. If there is blip in data either upward or downward that suggest there is something wrong/foul play happened there.

Also we should ask them to give us the long term avearge. Which in simple term is called Performance. Short term they can show the result improving because there was something they did to show good result. In manufacturing term that is called SPECIAL CAUSE. More later.
I sometime think I should talk to Khanna to tell him some statistical jargon.

Aren't they supposed to be processing the applications in the order they were received? Or is this some kind of lottery system going on here? Wasn't this one of their points in the case that they process cases in the order they were received?

Time and again you look in 140 or 485 forums, you will see they are processing cases so randomly. This does not do any justice to anyone. It is like a lottery system going on here. What is the basis of advancing the dates by approving 5% of the cases?

THIS IS FRUSTRATING!

hidden_dragon said:
FBI is pretty reasonable at answering inquiries. Many of us contacted them and found out name check results had been returned a year ago at least, and FP was usually returned on the same day. So we have evidence that security check is not the main reason for delay.

How do you contact FBI ? My 485 is stuck on FBI background check since Aug 2002 when I went for interview with my wife. And BCIS has no info on it.