Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

moody22 said:
Dude,

I don't give a crap-ass about these silly people.

That's why i just whatevered these smart-asses.

By the way, congratulation for your Oath, wish you the best in your life.

Regards,

Moody
thanks a ton moody..

moody22 said:
Dude,

I don't give a crap-ass about these silly people.

That's why i just whatevered these smart-asses.

Moody

Why you condradicting youself in same post. Stick with one way. And please no more personal graphic information :D :D :D .

And just congrating other don't prove anything. explain how you know so much about subject discussion when you joined just this month?? query you can hide but you know what, you sucks big time. take care

qili said:
the way she thinks, talks, argues and offends reminds me of joef, aka query11/query11./enimag.

So joef is still on this forum under "query" id? And is he female? suzy is male and use to post under female name(alongwith bunch of other famine id's) and joef is female and post under male ids. Whats going on? whats wrong with them exactly? :D :D

Driving Record on N400 Application

Hi:
I was looking into a couple of postings of having to report all driving offenses on the N400 application. My questions are:
1) does this have to be for the last 5 years' period only or for the duration of my stay in the USA which is obviously much longer?

2) I have like 2 moving violations and 1 accident - there were some reports that the officer at the interview may deny the application based on too many driving related offenses. Anybody has any idea as to what is "too many"?

3) do they need proof of fines paid etc. with the application or is it okay if I show them these at the interview?

Thanks,
Kaushik

As per the guidelines, you are supposed to list all events which led to a citation / arrest / jail time etc.
Unfortunately most traffic violations end up as citations. Hence, technically you are supposed to list the citations. It is also mentioned that you do not need prrof of payment if the fines were less than 500 $ (I do not remember the exact amount).
There is a lot of debate on wether to list traffic citations or not (do a search in this forum)
From my personal experiece: I didnt list traffic citations (I had one 50 $ fine). In the interview when asked if I had citations, I did say I had a traffic citation. The Io wanted to know if it was Reckless driving or DUI. I said no. Nothing was asked, and I cleared interview.
My friend didnt list citations in his N400. At interview the IO asked if he had citations, and he mentioned his speeding ticket that he recieved 10 years ago. The IO wanted him to give proof of payment for that ticket, which he didnt have. His case is currently delayed, as the IO wanted to clear it with the supervisor.
So bottom line, you will get citizenship - it might get delayed depending on your luck.

Dispositions for traffic tickets

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of tickets that I disclosed since they are citations. I also stated that they are all resolved.

I got a copy of my driving record and there is *absolutely nothing* listed there since I went to traffic school.

Is that enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not require paperwork evidence on minor traffic citations for the interview. You did mention it on the application and that is enough. Take whatever paperwork you did get and do not worry about the rest.

I never knew that one needs to keep track of all tickets & everything.

do you require to mention during interview?

Do you need to produce it?

From what I hear they usually show no interest...and even if they do...it is limited to finding out if you paid your fines...and if you owe any money to the government??
If you have a paper reciept from court, credit card reciept, canceled check....take that with you...

ahhhhhh

I got 2 tickets but its almost 3 years now & I haven't got my GC yet. shall I look around if I find those receipts, tickets ?

what if I don't find them?

July2003filer said:
ahhhhhh

I got 2 tickets but its almost 3 years now & I haven't got my GC yet. shall I look around if I find those receipts, tickets ?

what if I don't find them?

declaring tickets is not required for GC, only naturalization. The I-485 form clearly states "except traffic violations"

so I need to get all icket documents/info what I can for my citizenship (yet min 5 years away)?

PianoPlayer and HarvyDonald, thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate your help.

July2003filer said:
so I need to get all icket documents/info what I can for my citizenship (yet min 5 years away)?
Juley 2003, my understanding is that you have to declare all the instances where you were cited (a traffic ticket is, at a minimum, a citation). Not just for the last 5 years, but from when you came to the US.

But I don't remember when I got ticket. One was in 2001 and another in 2003. second was in NY & I live in MI. I even forgot the city name where I got ticket.

What are my options?

Speeding ticket won't count

Here what I found.

http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa070300b.htm

Question #6: I got a traffic ticket for speeding, do I have to tell INS about that in a citizenship interview?

Carl Shusterman: The N-400 application asks whether you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, "excluding traffic regulations," so you would not have to reveal a speeding ticket. However, if the offense were more serious, for example, driving under the influence of alcohol, you should not only reveal the arrest, but you should attach a certified copy of the arrest report to your application. It is important to stress, that all "arrests" must be revealed, even if they did not result in criminal convictions, were expunged or otherwise erased from your record.

Failure to reveal an arrest or conviction, no matter how minor, or how long ago the arrest/conviction occurred, may result in your application for naturalization being denied because you gave false testimony

Shribuy said:
Juley 2003, my understanding is that you have to declare all the instances where you were cited (a traffic ticket is, at a minimum, a citation). Not just for the last 5 years, but from when you came to the US.

The Shusterman quote is old. The N-400 no longer says that. When I filed mine, it clearly stated "Any citations, arrests, etc..." A ticket is a citation.

But I don't think you have to stress to much. Take a guess at when the ticket was and show them your driving record.

You do want to mention the tickets though in case they are unearthed.

Ask 2 Attornies

I got a ticket in 1995.

Before I send out N-400, I call 2 immigration attornies to check.
Both of them emphasized that I don't have to report the minor traffic ticket...
EXCEPT, it's as serious as "drunk and drive",
or been cuffed by policeman(e.g. drive 80m/h at 30m/h zone)!!!

They also told me, if I am not satisfied with this answer,
I still can get the report at CITY HALL,
but definitely "NO" to the question "Any citations, arrests..."

I also checked with local Congressman's office,
an immigration affair staff told me... if not fine more than $500,
or be forced to do community service, then I don't have to mention it!

My 2 cents