Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Hmmm.....good point Suriyan and thanks for the information. I wasn't sure if it was or not since I got a piece of paper from the police officer...like the ones that one would get if it were a traffic ticket.

Guess better safe than sorry. I did make a copy of the actual piece of paper before I sent it to the court and did include it in with the application. So, hopefully, that will explain it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
happigal said:
Hmmm.....good point Suriyan and thanks for the information. I wasn't sure if it was or not since I got a piece of paper from the police officer...like the ones that one would get if it were a traffic ticket.

Guess better safe than sorry. I did make a copy of the actual piece of paper before I sent it to the court and did include it in with the application. So, hopefully, that will explain it :)

I was involved in a car accident (on changing the lane I hit the other car in front of my car) during morning rush hours but there was no major damage to the other car. The police officer asked me and the other driver to verbally mention as to how the accident happened. He also looked at my registeration and insurance. I admitted that it was my mistake and the police officer was kind enough not to give me any ticket.

Is the above incident considered as a citation? Should I mention about this incident in my N-400 application even though I did not get any ticket?

Thanks

Hi coolguy446....did you actually get a ticket (citation) from the officer?

From what you indicated, it sounds like you didn't get a ticket or anything from the officer and that things were resolved between you and the other driver.

If that is so, then you don't need to mention this in your N400 since you didn't get a ticket.

However, if you have any other type of tickets (ie. speeding etc), then it might be good to mention it and just take some proof along to the interview that the case is dismissed, tickets are paid etc.

Hope this helps. :)

happigal said:
Hi coolguy446....did you actually get a ticket (citation) from the officer?

From what you indicated, it sounds like you didn't get a ticket or anything from the officer and that things were resolved between you and the other driver.

If that is so, then you don't need to mention this in your N400 since you didn't get a ticket.

However, if you have any other type of tickets (ie. speeding etc), then it might be good to mention it and just take some proof along to the interview that the case is dismissed, tickets are paid etc.

Hope this helps. :)

No, I did not get the ticket. Myself and the other driver did not talk and the matter was resolved by the police officer after getting statements from both of us.

I guess it might be a good idea to get the driving record from the DMV just to make sure that there is no citation of any kind.

Yes I agree with you on that...when it gets closer to your interview date, get your record from the DMV and you should be alright. :)

Citizenship application: traffic speeding ticket citation

My wife and I are going to apply for naturalization. In filling out the form N-400, Part 10, Section D (Good Moral Character), Question 16 asks:

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer
(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

Do we have to disclose the traffic citations we have received for speeding in the past. My wife has one citation back in around Feb 2002, and I have one from the same time as well as another one in Feb 2005. I had another one back in 1992. All of these citations had fine of under $200.

Is it expected to ignore minor traffic citations especially as the Instructions for N-400 state that:

Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submitdocumentation for traffic fines and incidents that didnot involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense.​

If we do have to mention these citations, what documents should we be submitting along with N-400.

Thanks,

SMA_97

sma_97 said:
My wife and I are going to apply for naturalization. In filling out the form N-400, Part 10, Section D (Good Moral Character), Question 16 asks:

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer
(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

Do we have to disclose the traffic citations we have received for speeding in the past. My wife has one citation back in around Feb 2002, and I have one from the same time as well as another one in Feb 2005. I had another one back in 1992. All of these citations had fine of under $200.

Is it expected to ignore minor traffic citations especially as the Instructions for N-400 state that:

Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submitdocumentation for traffic fines and incidents that didnot involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense.​

If we do have to mention these citations, what documents should we be submitting along with N-400.

Thanks,

SMA_97

You don't have to. We have disscused this issue several times here.

Also take a life-time driving record to the interview, just in case they asked you for it.

Regards,

Moody

moody22 said:

Also take a life-time driving record to the interview, just in case they asked you for it.

Regards,

Moody

You joined this month, so how can you discuss many times here. will you disclose your real ID? why you have to create new ID to post lies? Are you born lier query?may god bless you.

query, please disclose all your ID's and reason behind your multiple id's? you are worse than suzy ... mind you. :D :rolleyes: :D :D :D

chigfu said:
query, please disclose all your ID's and reason behind your multiple id's?

some kind of sickness, I guess.

joef syndrome, as it is academically known.

Why you think I’m query, or anybody else.

Anyway, my ID is readable. If you can’t read it, it’s your problem.

And to answer your question, I’m not Query, smart ass!!

Regards,

Moody

you talk like query, you write like query, you think like query, you argue like query, and you offend other people like query.

you must be query,

moody22 said:
smart ass.

Question for sma_97

SMA_97,

Where did you find the 'Instructions for N-400' re: your original note? :confused:

Citi2007

qili said:
you talk like query, you write like query, you think like query, you argue like query, and you offend other people like query.

you must be query,

Whateverrrrrrrrrr!!!

moody..dont care for them buddy...

They just want to drag me into this....
qili ak.a chigfu(7 posts in 2 years,doent it give a hint?)a.k.a suzy
a different id came up with a thread on me yesterday and... he had to delete it coz there was no response...
So best thing is just ignore these people....i dont care what they write..they are just wasting their time...
While i look at it and laugh at these pathetic soul's desperately trying to drag me into a arguement... :)

OK, as far as speeding ticket goes, these are the scenarios.
Even if you do not list it in the N400, its OK.
But when the IO asks you under oath if you have been cited, you should let them know where and when, so that you arent lying under oath.
In my interview, I let my IO know that it was a traffic violation and the IO didnt bother to ask anything more about it.
In my friends interview, he let the IO know of a speeding citation, and the IO wanted to see proof of payment. As he didnt have it, he was asked to send it to them by mail, and his application got delayed.
In the end, you will get your citizenship. Its about taking a chance on it being possibly delayed.

moody22 said:

Regards,

Moody
btw even i am a bit surprised with this....

july is when ur id was created...so who are you?

query11. said:
btw even i am a bit surprised with this....

july is when ur id was created...so who are you?

I think i did a mistake when i said:We disscused this several times here, since i saw these 2 threads in the index page.

I should've said: This issue have been disscused several times here.

Anyway, I tried to help the person who asked the Q.

query11. said:
moody..dont care for them buddy...

They just want to drag me into this....
qili ak.a chigfu(7 posts in 2 years,doent it give a hint?)a.k.a suzy
a different id came up with a thread on me yesterday and... he had to delete it coz there was no response...
So best thing is just ignore these people....i dont care what they write..they are just wasting their time...
While i look at it and laugh at these pathetic soul's desperately trying to drag me into a arguement... :)

Dude,

I don't give a crap-ass about these silly people.

That's why i just whatevered these smart-asses.

By the way, congratulation for your Oath, wish you the best in your life.

Regards,

Moody