Traffic Ticket proof to INS

iamusa

Hello, I am about to apply n-400, as I understand I have to say
'yes' to the question of "stopped by a police".
What I like to find out which documentation I should provide the INS which prove that I was stopped by police for speeding only and nothing else. In my case I moved from the city I got ticket 10 years ago. How do I prove that I got only speeding ticket. Please
share your experiences.

One of my friends. when he applied he didnt disclose any tickets on application. he had couple of tickets. but minor ones like seat belt and expired inspection sticker. and during his interview everything went smooth and he wasnt asked about those tickets and he is now a citizen.

on the other hand.
My cousin who had DWI. didnt also mention anything on application, but when he got interview letter he also got a letter stating to bring proof of that dwi arrest, which he had to bring to interview and he is also a citizen now.

I dont know how thins works. is it possible uscis gets ur driving record from DMV?????

or they only can find out if u were arrested from the fingerprints result.
there is no clear answer to that.

I guess the DUI arrest would have shown during the fingerprint check.
The point that everybody is trying to make is that these small issues (speeding tickets etc) will not cause any problem in your naturalization process...
So there is no use hiding it. If some USCIS officer does realize that u did not disclose it (from whatever source), then it is upto the USCIS officer to decide what your intentions were...so why take a risk by not disclosing the fact at all?

Hope this helps.

shaky said:
One of my friends. when he applied he didnt disclose any tickets on application. he had couple of tickets. but minor ones like seat belt and expired inspection sticker. and during his interview everything went smooth and he wasnt asked about those tickets and he is now a citizen.

on the other hand.
My cousin who had DWI. didnt also mention anything on application, but when he got interview letter he also got a letter stating to bring proof of that dwi arrest, which he had to bring to interview and he is also a citizen now.

I dont know how thins works. is it possible uscis gets ur driving record from DMV?????

or they only can find out if u were arrested from the fingerprints result.
there is no clear answer to that.

citizen2004 said:
Yes I agree. Minor tickets have no effect. One of the posters here mentioned that , during interview when he mentioned about his speeding ticket he was told not to worry about unless its dwi or dui or arrest. but if u were arrested or have dwi or dui i would assume uscis will definitly know about this from ur fingerprint check. but i dont think that they also get ur driving record check for minor tickets like seat belt or broken tail light.

JoeF said:
Having speeding tickets will not prevent naturalization. Hiding them may cause problems.
But in any case, this was a question from 2002 resurrected by the person who tried to impersonate me.

I never had speeding ticket. but do u get fingerprinted for speeding ticket????

just curious. If not than how would uscis would know. I am not trying to prove that one should not disclose it. but i am just curious that if someone never got those tickets for which u get arrested or fingerprinted how would uscis would know. because i am not sure if they really pull ur driving record for naturalization purpose. my guess is that uscis is only intrested to know about dui,dwi,reckless driving and or speeding ticket.other than that its no biggie.

JoeF said:
Of course, that's what they are interested in, and that's why they removed the "except traffic regulations" phrase from the N-400. The old phrase resulted in a lot of people not disclosing DUIs and the like. But, the lack of the phrase has the side effect that if you don't disclose all citations, you could get dinged for hiding a material fact, which is a deportable offense.

Joef. Stop scaring people with wrong advice. You are confusing the issue in your paragraph above. You are confusing DUI and speeding ticket. DUI results in arrest. Most speeding ticket does not result in arrests. USCIS is interested in knowing if you commited an offense that resulted in arrest.

JoeF said:
That's why the misinformation from dsfgh100 is so dangerous.
You simply absolutely never lie to CIS.

To the contrary, I am correcting the misinformation being provided by JoeF. I am correcting his mistake. There is no lie in this. You are supplying the information USCIS wants to see. If they want to see your speeding ticket reports, they could get your driver's license report and see it (which they do). They are not interested in small things like speeding ticket that did not result in arrest.

----------------------------
Vote Bush '04

You need to report all speeding citations. Just make sure you mention that you were not arrested but just cited. Its true that CIS does not care about these in mooooooost cases but even my lawyer thought its required. You decide

If they want to see your speeding ticket reports, they could get your driver's license report and see it (which they do).

I do not think they get driver's license report. because my friend who had a ticket didnt diclose it on n 400 application and he wasnt asked about it. If they do get ur record from DMV, then all of those ppl who do not list minor traffic tickets would've been denied citizenship since they didnt disclose it on application.

so in my opinion, if u have minor traffic tickets , its up to u to disclose it on application or not to. U decide. BUT if u have recless driving or dui or dwi than YES u should disclose it because they would come up in fingerprints check anyways.

Proposed amendment: According to proposed new § 332(a)(i)(2) of the Act, an applicant shall be required to describe any criminal offenses, other than minor traffic violations, during the course of the mandatory interview.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INS response: This provision is unnecessary. It is already an INS policy requirement that naturalization applicants be requested to submit final dispositions for all criminal offenses. In the alternative we request that this language be amended to omit references to "minor traffic violations." To leave this reference in place could prove confusing and misleading, and could result in an applicant's withholding information that is relevant to his or her application. Depending on the actual statutory elements of an offense, what may be called "minor traffic violations" could render an applicant ineligible for naturalization. For example, in California, failure to appear in court, a violation of § 40508A of the Vehicle Code, and failure to pay a fine, a violation of § 40508B of the Vehicle Code, are both misdemeanor violations, regardless of the underlying offenses. Accordingly, if an applicant for naturalization has recently failed to pay a fine resulting from a simple parking ticket, he or she may have been convicted of a misdemeanor offense of failure to pay the fine, and may be on probation. An applicant who is on probation is ineligible to naturalize. Again, depending on the state, an examining officer may be compelled to investigate "minor" traffic violations, because they may lead to offenses or dispositions that render an applicant ineligible for naturalization by statute. The proposed amendment in the bill is too limiting and does not take into account local or state law

shaky said:
Proposed amendment: According to proposed new § 332(a)(i)(2) of the Act, an applicant shall be required to describe any criminal offenses, other than minor traffic violations, during the course of the mandatory interview.

Since when did "Proposed amendment" become law? There are 1000s of proposed amendments. We could safely ignore them because they are not the law.

Vote Bush '04

shaky said:
I do not think they get driver's license report. because my friend who had a ticket didnt diclose it on n 400 application and he wasnt asked about it. If they do get ur record from DMV, then all of those ppl who do not list minor traffic tickets would've been denied citizenship since they didnt disclose it on application.

They may very well see that. Or they may see the driving report, and decide not to even mention it to the applicant during interview. Reason being.... speeding is a minor small thing that any one could face. Even Al Gore got a speeding ticket some weeks back when he was dricing in Oregon state. Does not mean we think Gore has bad moral character. We just think Gore has wrong political judgement by being overly liberal.

shaky said:
so in my opinion, if u have minor traffic tickets , its up to u to disclose it on application or not to. U decide. BUT if u have recless driving or dui or dwi than YES u should disclose it because they would come up in fingerprints check anyways.

My suggestion.... Disclose any event that caused an arrest. Any good lawyer will tell you not to supply more information that absolutely neccessary. This is a good example of a situation in which you should be a miser in providing information simply because the information you want to provide (about some speeding ticket) is irrelevant to the case. This is not just my opinion, you can check the link I provided earlier in which the attorney Carl Shusterman says the same.

Live happy.

Vote Bush '04

dsgfh100..I just don't see why are you so bent on not disclosing this information? It is definitely not going to do you any harm if you have payed for all the tickets and have the corresponding proof..

On the other hand, if a USCIS officer realizes that you did not mention this fact (then depending upon the 'mood' of the officer), he/she may or may not decide to pursue this further to your disadvantage (and a serious one at that, if they think you are trying to hide something)

cheers!

dsfgh100 said:
They may very well see that. Or they may see the driving report, and decide not to even mention it to the applicant during interview. Reason being.... speeding is a minor small thing that any one could face. Even Al Gore got a speeding ticket some weeks back when he was dricing in Oregon state. Does not mean we think Gore has bad moral character. We just think Gore has wrong political judgement by being overly liberal.

My suggestion.... Disclose any event that caused an arrest. Any good lawyer will tell you not to supply more information that absolutely neccessary. This is a good example of a situation in which you should be a miser in providing information simply because the information you want to provide (about some speeding ticket) is irrelevant to the case. This is not just my opinion, you can check the link I provided earlier in which the attorney Carl Shusterman says the same.

Live happy.

Vote Bush OUT