TN Visa vs Commuter Green Card

_JohnnyD_

I am a Canadian citizen that lives in Canada and crossed the border daily to the US for work. I have been doing this under a TN visa without any problems.

I’ve recently heard about this commuter green card as an option but there is very little info on the web about it.

The fee things that I have gathered is that I would qualify assuming my employer is willing to sponsor me however the application process is vague.

If the application process is similar to a standard green card then I would not be able to cross the border daily under my TN? Is this correct?

The other issue is the I-178 form. I’ve read that I would need to submit a new form with a letter from my employer every 6 months. This does not seem very convenient for my employer.

Is there any advantage of this commuter green card over renewing TN visas every 3 years?

There is not.

Generally one does not apply for a Green card as a commuter (due to travel and filing limitations). The process for applying is just as difficult as for regular GC. What one usually does is SWITCH their existing GC to commuter status, so that they can live in Canada or Mexico and not risk losing their GC.

So, unless you are living or planning to live in US for a few years, I wouldn't bother.