TN Visa Renewal for Remote Worker

DeanD

I am a remote worker in Canada for a US company but paid by their Canadian arm. I reside in and work in Canada the majority of time but have previously used my (now) expired TN Visa for onsite work at their US office for up to 1 month at a time.

As mentioned, my previous TN Visa has expired while I continue to work for the company remotely. I am preparing for another onsite visit, at which time I will apply for another TN Visa with the same company.

Is it a problem that I have continued work for the same company while on Canadian soil?

I am planning a visit to the US for a holiday prior to my onsite visit to the company, should I apply for the TN Visa then, or wait until I actually plan to go for work?

And what date should I use for beginning of employment, since I am currently still working with them (remotely). Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is not a problem. The TN letter should simply state your work conditions: you are a Cdn employeee of XYZ needing a TN to occasionally work for them in US. The need should exist for the next three years. The border my then simply decide that you only need B1 to enter, but you will be covered. You can quote your salary in the currency it is paid by them.

Excellent, thank you.

I understand my need for a TN is uncertain, however I prefer to have it as it makes future crossings more routine. Based on your advice, which I believe is appropriate, I will need to be prepared to apply for the TN every time I cross. Which would be a burden on my employer as they will need to generate a current offer letter for each visit.

Anyhow, I will follow your advice and deal with the result.

Not quite. As I said, your TN request should say that the need for you to visit (on TN) will exist for the next three years. Then they will issue you a 3-year TN.

I submitted my job offer that clearly said I would be working in both Canada and the US offices while being paid in Canadian and they renewed my TN status for 3 years. Thanks for you help.