TN visa layoff and rehire

miknguye83

Hi nelsona,
I have a question about my TN. I got laid off last month and switched my TN status to B1 in order to pack up stuff and move back to Canada. My employer called me this morning and said that they want to rehire me again as the same position, salary but DIFFERENT location.
DO I NEED TO START MY TN-1 VISA APPLICATION AS A NEW ONE AT THE BORDER OR THE OLD ONE IS FINE?
Thanks

You would at a minimum need to go to the border and re-enter on your old TN, and make sure to cancel your B2 application (it should have been B2 tourist, not B1 business). The location should not matter, if all other work parameters are the same.

Since you need to go to border, it's your choice whether you should just re-apply for new TN.

Hi

I got my TN working for employer A to work for client X. And now my employer A is changing my location to a different client Y. So will I need to process any amendment like I-129? Can you provide me any legal process involved?

thanks

You got your TN for employer A. Period. They may have mentioned a client, but the client is not your sponsor, so you can go wherever they send you without new or changed TN.