TN visa expire expiring 2016, TN visa status till 2018

LilianRT

Hi,
Last year I applied and was granted a TN visa as a Mexican citizen . The visa stamp on my passport expires by the end of July 2016 but the annotations on my visa state that the status is valid from August 2015 to August 2018 (dates stated on my letter of employment presented at the consulate). Within these past months I have traveled to Mexico a few times and every time I have reenter the US I have been granted an I-94 valid till August 2018.

I understand that it is the I-94 which determines the date till you can remain in the US with this status no matter the expiration date on your visa stamp. However, I would like to apply for a new visa stamp so that I can continue to travel freely back to Mexico and any other place. I am nervous about making the trip to Mexico to apply for a new stamp at the consulate and get it denied because I exit the country only after a year of getting the TN status which was granted for 3 years. Although I understand it is the Consul's decision to either grant or deny a visa stamp, I really want to make sure that I won't be breaking any 'previously stated rule' by applying for a new TN visa stamp and so my status would be immediately canceled and I would not be able to return to my job in the US. In your experience is this a common thing to do?
I would deeply appreciate your help/opinion on my case.

I see no issue. it would probably be best to get the visa straightened out, in case you go outside N America, in which case the expired visa is of no use to you after July 2016.

Everything is perfectly normal. TN visas for Mexicans are supposed to be only valid for 1 year. And you are supposed to be admitted for 3 years on TN.