TN Visa change of employer

Pavel Olmedo

I'm a mexican citizen and started a job in August as a software developer for a big US company but through a contractor with a small indian company.
So the chain goes like this: Big US company -> Outsorcing company -> vendor 1 -> my indian company ( my TN Visa employer) who should pay me.
This indian company has been a fraud and has not paid my salary on time, so I approached to the vendor company and told them my situation and I will end my relationship with my indian employer and keep the contract with the big US company and be paid directly by the vendor company.

But I have many doubts

1. Vendor company told me I will be hired by them but first I need to do the change of employer of my TN Visa, they told me the fastest way to do this is to go to Mexico, do the change and then come back.
2. Vendor company told me they cannot pay me until I do the TN Visa change of employer. Is that true?
3. Can I just end the contract with the indian employer just like that because they didn't pay me? Can they sue me for whatever reason even if they didn't pay me?

Thanks for the prompt response!
All companies are from US but their personnel have indian names, that's what I meant. The original TN sponsor is the last company in the chain and the one who I signed contract with to pay me.

Last edited:
So, with rgards to your question:
1. you do need to change sponsor, since the "indian" firm is out of the picture. This can be doen more quickly at the border.
2. That is between them and the indian firm. They cannot pay you directly under the terms of the current TN.
3. By getting new TN, you will essentially be doing this.

Hi All,

Need your help and advice. Here is the situation:

I am a Canadian Citizen, got a contract job in US through a Canadian/US based company for one of their client in New Jersery. Got my TN last Tuesday. Just learnt that the project has been put on hold for now. I have got another opportunity to work with another company that has nothing to do with my TN employer. Which is the better option?

- Should I request to change the employer on the TN does it take time?
-Should I apply for the new TN?
-I negotiate with my existing TN employer, can I work for the same TN employer on a different client?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Any particular reason you wouldn't start your own thread?
To work for the other company you MUST get a new TN, which will take the time it takes to travel to the border and get it.
You don't change the employer on a TN, you simply get a new TN for the new employer (you can even keep the old one as as well, if there is a change the project will restart).
If your current employer has other clients (and your TN was not specific to that client) you can work for any of your employer's clients with your current TN (if it is essentially the same work).

Hi,

My apologies. I missed that found this thread relevant to my issue without realizing that Many thanks for your reply though.

Regards,