TN Visa and Residency status

Murph44

Hi all,

I'm going to be headed to the US in a couple weeks for a job on a TN for about two years. My question is will I be classified as a resident since I am living and working in the same state? I was there for 3 months on a separate TN this past summer, but there was no mention of my resident status...I'm assuming it was "temporary" because I was only there for 3 months?

Also - I'm planning on bringing my car and I assume I will have to formally import it at the border. The state I'm moving to says that I will be a resident and have 30 days to get a DL and register the car...so does that mean that CBP will view me as a resident as well? I'm very confused about this.

One last thing - When I arrive at the border, what others documents are the CBP going to be looking for (aside from TN and car importation)? Do I have to declare my laptop and camera, or provide them with my new US address and proof of it?

Thank for any help!

You are allowed to live in US while on TN, just not "permanently" because that is reserved for US citizens and Green card holders. But you are not required to keep a Cdn address while in US on TN (unlike, say, if you were a student or a tourist).

So there is no problem at the border doing things that make you look like you will be living in US, as long as they do not think -- and you do not mistakenly tell them -- that you are moving permanently. Your TN is good for upto 3 years, so it is reasobale to move to US and bring your car.

This would also be the time (or on any subsequent trips) you bring down ALL your other personal items

Nelsona,

Thank you for your reply.

I gather that my residency status will be something along the lines of "non-immigrant resident" correct? Since I will be living and working there as a non-immigrant.

Can you help me with this question - When I arrive at the border, what others documents are the CBP going to be looking for (aside from TN and car importation)? Do I have to declare my laptop and camera, or provide them with my new US address and proof of it?

One last note: When I came back to Canada in August I did not surrender my I-94 form from my passport to the Canadian customs officer. She said that since I was going back to the US in a month I might as well keep it because they keep the I-94's in a drawer and only give them back to the US when the drawer gets full. She said mine might not be back in US hands by the time I return. So she stamped my I-94 and told me to bring it back to the US CBP when I apply for my new TN. Will this cause any problems?

I thought I answered that part, but, no other doscs are required.

The I-94 is not a problem, because she did stamp it.

It isn't any good of course, unless you are still working for the old fimr.