TN to H1b

Britt

Hi,

This forum helped me a lot during TN renewal time. Thank you all for your help especially Nelsona.
I have been working as CSA on TN visa for 5 years, now my company wants to apply H1b as QA manager. Will the h1b approve in this category or the immigration will raise question as how a CSA can become manager? I have masters degree in computers.

H1-B generally has a MUCH looser association between degree and job, so submitting an H1-B petition for this job would not be a problem. They simply have to write the h1-B petition such that someone with your degree and experience is qualified. Your previous status won't matter. CSA can't become a QA manager on TN, but she can on H1-B.

Assuming you don't work for a firm that has H1 quota exemption, the larger problems you face, are (a) since h1-B quota has been met this year, you can't apply until next spring; the earliest you could start working this new job is October 2018. (b) the unlikelihood of winning the H1-B April 1 lottery in any given year, might push this back further (c) it would appear they don't need/want you working your current job, and since you can't do it on TN, (a) and (b) might be creating a career problem for you.