TN Status - Job title vs job duties

Bslon

I am planning to seek a TN as an economist to the US.

The employer letter of support has the job title phrased as "director of finance (economist)" and proceeds to state that the occupation is designated as an economist and the job duties listed generally relate to that of an economist under NAFTA. I will be carrying information on the economist duties under the Occupational Handbook as well.

My questions are:
- Will the director title be a problem at the border? The Dictionary of Occupational Titles does state that an economist "may supervise and assign work to staff".

- Will they acknowledge the economist job title when it is listed in brackets?

I should note I have a degree in economics, as well as previous years of experience in economist positions (exact title) from Canada.

I would appreciate any advice and background information I should take with me to the POE to support the application. Thanks

The internal corporate job title is meaningless in a TN . The outline of tasks you will perform is the key, and they should concur with the DOT. Does the letter outline your duties?

The problem you might face is the supervisor issue. TN's are not for managers, reagrdless of what DOT includes for economists. So the title of "Director" in US terms is usually considerd quite a high managerial position.

The internal corporate job title is meaningless in a TN . The outline of tasks you will perform is the key, and they should concur with the DOT. Does the letter outline your duties?

The problem you might face is the supervisor issue. TN's are not for managers, reagrdless of what DOT includes for economists. So the title of "Director" in US terms is usually considerd quite a high managerial position.
Thank you for the prompt response Nelsona.

So where does it state in the INS handbook that TN is a non-managerial status?

I have found some online cases that stated that the job duties rather than title should be used to determine eligibility. If the letter has the economist occupation is that enough ? The letter does list high level duties

I could carry proof that economists do tend to have managerial roles especially with more experience. Do you have advice on other documents I could carry to support this aspect? I don't think that I can get the letter without the corporate title included.

Well. let me amend my answer. It has been the long-held practice TNs are generally not granted to take executive/managerial roles, by the simple fact that "manager" and "executive"-- which is really what you will be doing -- are not TN classifications, unlike say L-status executive transferees.

However, there have been successful TNs for executives, if they can argue they qualify under the accountant or, like you, economist category.

I guess it does go back to the DOT definition including this task. So you might just get the TN.

But it will be a matter of the CBP officer accept yourargument. It would still be simpler if your job title was not mentioned, but so be it.

OK, thank you for the clarification.

The job actually involves me undertaking significant analytical duties, with supervision as a minor role. I will see if anything can be done about dropping the title. If not, I will build the argument to qualify as economist.

Thanks again.

Nelsona, when you said internal job title is meaningless, is it possible to get the status with a job title for business analyst under Management consultant?