TN Status - Job and TN application advice

Alocia

Has anyone applied for the TN status recently? Has the screening process become more difficult under Trump or it stay the same?

I am a registered professional engineer in Canada. I have a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering with a reputable Canadian university (ABET accredited program). I have also worked with large construction and engineering companies for the last 10 years.

While applying for positions in the US, I was able to get 4 out of 4 interviews. However, when I mentioned that I will need TN status, they all turned me down and said they are not sponsoring anyone at the moment. From my understanding, the TN status is a much quicker and painless application than the H1B visa. It's a status that I can apply myself (with some support from the hiring company), am I correct? One website recommended applicants to tell the hiring company that "I don't require sponsorship and I can be available to work in a week or two." The post was written a few years ago - is this (still) true? I want to be honest up front about my status, but I don't want to 'scare' the company off. Will someone able to shed some light and provide some feedback on this?

Lastly, if I receive a job offer, will going to the border, completing the TN interview, and obtaining the status AHEAD of time the way to go? Ahead of the actual arrival date for the position. Will this guarantee a smoother border experience when I am traveling to the US for the position? Or is it frown upon? It would be terrible to fly there for a job and get turned around at the border, especially when I live close to the border now and can do it ahead of the time.

Thank you, everyone, for your input in advance!

hi Alocia,

1. dont worry about the administration. Instead focus on a solid TN package
  2. The process to get TN (if you qualify) is much more straight fwd as compared to H1 process
  3. your employer doesnt have to do much. All they need to do is to type a "TN format" letter making a case for your hiring and the fact that you fit under a certain NAFTA professional category (likely 'engineer' for your qualifications)
  4. for your TN interview (read 'request for TN status'), you will need TN letter from employer + your passport + educational degree equivalency
Good luck

As Mister mentions in #2 an #3, you may have to educate potential employers about the difference between "sponsorship" via I-129 for H1-B (which can take months and fail), and border TN application.

The TN letter however shouldn't "make the case for hiring you". It should simply request a TN in a particular category, and outline your duties. Nor should the letter determine if you qualify for that TN category, the CBP does, based on evidence you give them at the border. Conversely, the border doesn't decide whether the firm was right to hire you -- the firm already decided this by giving you a letter. CBP only decides if the job and you qualify for TN.
So;
  • Firm asks for TN in a particular category, and describes the job.
  • You provide the proof of requisite educational and/or experience required for that category.
  • CBP decides if job description, and your quals add up to TN.

And just a slight clarification on #4. NAFTA stipulates that bachelor-level degrees from Canada/US/Mexico are automatically equivalenced. No need for an equivalency or "foreign" degree evaluation. You may need one later, if you get an H1-B or go for Green card, but not for obtaining TN. Proof of bachelor degree is sufficient.

Thank you for your responses. It is important for me to educate the companies that they do not need to "sponsor" me, but they will need to provide a job letter that fit TN status requirements. My telling them that I will need a TN "visa" may have complicated and confused the hiring companies. Crossing my fingers and toes for future interviews.

Again, thank you for the replies.

Never use the word Visa. You will never get a US Visa for any status that you qualify for. Just use "status" or "work authorization" or even "permit".