TN or H1?

cw1

Registered Users (C)
I'm very confused now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was approved with H1B in Oct 08 for an accountant position. Approval notice (Oct 08-Sep 2011) was sent to HR, and HR did not notify me.

Without knowing that I was approved with H1, I applied and got approved for TN for working in 09, and then TN for 2010-2012.

I will be promoted to be Finance supervisor at the end of Dec, which would not be eligible under TN(?).

1. Do I need a new H1 as Finance supervisor? or
2. Do I fly across the border and activate my existing H1 as an accountant?
3. If I choose 2 and fly in Nov 09, do I only have two years left on this H1?

Thanks in advance!

You are now in TN status. However, you can switch to H1 by going to the border. You were technically in H1 from October 01, 2008 until you got your next TN. You can get that time back later, just keep track of it.

To get new job, your lawyer needs to submit a simple amendment to the current H1, to reflect teh job change.

Now go slap your HR for being such morons.

Thanks a lot Nelsona! You've been great help since my first TN application! When I go to the border, do you think I'll have a lot of explanation to do about applying for TN after H1?

I'll track my H1 time. Basically, it is from Oct 1 to the time I got my next TN(or the start date of next TN?).

When I cross the border, what would be the time left on my H1? Would it be 3 yrs minus the 2 months? Or I already wasted a whole year on it?

I ready to slap them when I found out, but they felt terrible too :(