TN on expired passport

preet4575

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have a valid TN till March 1, 2017 that is tied to my passport which expires on March 1, 2017 too. I renewed my Canadian Passport by mail and got a new one for 10 years. They cancelled the old passport and the TN I94 is still there attached to it.

I am travelling to Canada this weekend for about 2 weeks and when i return i am planning to take my Old passport with attached TN I94 to it and obviously my new passport.

When i return back to US, as per my understanding I will show both passports (Cancelled with I94 attached and new passport) and the CBP officer will cancel the old I94 and issue me a new one till the expiry of previous I94 which is March 1, 2017. I am carrying my last 2 months pay stubs with me as well.

Is there anything else i need to be aware of or i am missing, please let me know? Will appreciate the reply

Just to be clear, you have TN status approved until some date in the future (you didn't say, presumably 3-years from the date you got it), it is simply your I-94 that is expiring.

No real need to take the old passport (you should have taken the I-94 out for safe-keeping when you sent it to Canada - how would you have been able to show legal status in US in the meantime), the I-94 is the key. Your last paystub, or your badge should be enough proof of current employment. Have some proof of when the original I-94 was issued, so that they can issue a new one up to the 3-year mark.

Thanks for the reply Nelsona!

Yes, originally the application was made for 3 year until Nov 2017 but since passport was expiring in March so they issued the TN till then.

Yes, I took out the I94 before i sent the Canadian passport for renewal.

Sure i will take the application with me so that they can issue the new till Nov 2017.

Thanks again!