TN i94 Old passport

rkmsnd007

Hi All,

My current TN i94 (expiring in Jan 2024) is in my old passport (expiring in Feb 2024).

I recently got a new passport and planning to go to US next week. Will the border officers ask to get my TN visa transferred to my new passport.

Regards,
RKMSND

First off, you don't have a TN "visa". You have TN "status", proof of which is your I-94. Simply put your old I-94 in you new passport. IF CBP wishes to re-stamp your TN information in new passport, they will.

Nelsona, can I still keep the TN Status i94 in my old passport and carry it along with my new passport.

Plan to carry my approved TN papers with me in case they want to move it to my new passport.

I guess you could, but the I-94 is the only important thing. Your old TN papers aren't much use anymore since it only has a month to run. Proof of employment would be more important to carry at this point.

Shouldn't you be planning to get a new TN, since your old one is about to expire? Now would be the time.

Thanks Nelsona...New TN Extension via USCIS is in progress (Had put it in a separate thread). I am going to US in January and would need to wait there till my premium processing TN Extension is complete.

I shall carry my proof of employment with me (Salary Slips etc) on Sat

As I said, no need to stay or be anywhere while I-129 is being processed. Seems like a waste since you will be at the border at a propoer timeframe.

Just an update..I had been to the border for a day US visit on Saturday.

The office asked me if I would like to move my TN from the old passport to new passport...I mentioned yes and he removed the old i94 and re-stamped a new i94 entry to my new passport. Did not ask me any documents.

Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately -- if you were issued a new I-94 number -- this *may* mean that you will need to return to the border to get another I-94 once you get your approval. Hopefully the officer acted correctly and simply "moved" the same I-94.

You will know when you get your I-797 approval notice. If it has an I-94 attached, you are fine,