TN Employer Petition Question

Bermuda25

Dear all,

I am a Canadian citizen and just been offered employment in the US. My new prospective employer is filling a TN petition on my behalf. My question is; after the TN petition is approved what are the next steps? should take the approval notice with me to the US Border agents to issue me the "TN status"?

Please accept my apologies incase my query was already answered in the previous posts, I could not find any answer directly addressing the query.

Thanks in advance to the kind responses.

So, they are filing an I-129 for you, or they are giving you a letter that you take to the border. Big difference.
If it is an I-129 that hey filed, you simply take the approval notice on your way down to work, and they breifly review your information (you should bring all your supporting docs) and will issue you an I-94 -- if you are otherwise admitable. that is your work status.

If they simply give you a TN letter, then you bring down all your documants and the BORDER decides whether you get TN or not.

Technically, the BORDER could deny you entry even with an approved I-129, but that would be unrelated to TN (criminal record, previous inadmissabilty, etc) The I-129 process doesn't look into these things. That is one reason why most hires don't bother with I-129. they simply send you to the border and get bot the TN and admission issues decided at one time .

Thanks Nelsona for the response.

To clarify the employer filed a petition to USCIS, I assume this is the I-129? right?, since I am new to this process dont know the correct terminology. The prospective employer is not comfortable just giving me a TN letter, so they decided to file a petition directly with USCIS.

Yup. So, my comment applies. The I-129 really doesn't "buy" them anything, since it will still be reviewed at the border.
keeps their lawyer busy though. I hope they filed premium processing.

Yes they filed using premium processing (response guaranteed in 15 business days so they say). I assume the I-129 will also include details of my dependants (wife and 2 kids) to help for their "TD status" at the Border right? or that is a separate process?

Thanks

It will be silent about your dependants. They will need to appear at border and get TD status, based on your TN , and proof of relationship to you.
If one or more is not Cdn, they will first need a visa from the consulate before enering on TD.