TN documentation proving agency/employer relationship

sj416

Background:

TN Technical Writer currently on a 4-month contract with a mid-sized tech Company. I was interviewed/selected by the Company, but I’m paid by (and therefore employed by) a third party Agency.

My signed contract and support letter were both from the Agency, and stated that the work will be done for Company at the Company’s offices.

The CBP agent at the Calgary airport said that normally in this scenario, they require a written agreement between the two parties to prove that the Agency is engaged to be an employer of record for the Company.

I didn’t have this, but he said he gave me some latitude because of the short duration of the role. He advised me to have this next time.

Question:

My contract is being renewed for 1 year, and I’ll get my TN at a port of entry again. Exactly what should I present to satisfy this requirement? A copy of the actual contract between the Company and the Agency (not sure they'd give me that)? A letter of some sort from one or both parties?

I can’t find details about this anywhere, and I’d never even heard of it before this previous encounter.